How to get rid of excess armpit skin & fat bulges? Surgical & non-surgical options are welcome! (Photo)

I am an 18 year old male & I've had this problem my whole life. I have a good amount of extra armpit skin which causes the appearance of folds/ bulges when my arms are down. This issue is genetic in my family but it is something that really bothers me. I do pectoral exercises but that does not completely help because it is more of an excess skin/ fat issue. I have a very slender/ fit build as of now so that is my main problem area. I am open to both surgical & non-surgical options!

Doctor Answers 3

Armpit folds-genetic?

Direct skin excision is the only treatment that I think may be of value but would leave an unaesthetic scar and my opinion should be avoided.  Until there is a very effective skin tightening device that will help in this area I would avoid surgery.  You may find a doctor with an RFAL device willing to try to tighten your skin but I am not sure if it has yet been used in this region.  Good luck and best wishes, 

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Excess arm pit skin- what to do

Thank you for asking about your arm pit skin.

  • Based on your photos, surgical excision of the excess skin looks the best treatment. 
  • Kybella and liposuction are unlikely to help. 
  • Please see a plastic surgeon for an examination to be sure this is correct. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Fat Rolls in Armpit -- VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, Surgery, Kybella

Some of this is genetic and cannot be improved without surgical removal and even then it may not look great.  Vaser hi def 4D contouring can be used, thermiRF can be tried, kybella may help tighten the area  I suggest a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.