Is this much bruising normal 1 week post op after lipo on upper and lower abdomen? (Photo)

My tummy is also very lumpy and tender u set the 5"7 and 235 pds pre pannus/lower tummy has a significant overhang it's were most of the purple heavy bruising is located at... ..I have a 1 wk post op appt tomorrow ... Please see pic... it's of my stomach ...close up of lower tummy...

Is this much bruising normal 1 week post op after lipo on upper and lower abdomen?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... Bruising is normal after liposuction, it depends on each patient's body and skin, the bruise type and coloration, this may vary between the different types of lipo..

Bruising is quite common after liposuction.  It can take a week or two of the bruising to go away. Best of luck.

Bruising after liposuction.

Actually bruising after liposuction can be quite common, and can be significant if you happened to take aspirin products before you procedure. One week post is quite early, though do let your surgeon have a look.

Liposuction - is my bruising normal

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your bruising is not unusual for someone of your BMI (36.8)
  • Heavier people have large blood vessels and are much more likely to bruise or even bleed from liposuction
  • Point out your bruising to your surgeon -
  • Please also mention if your are very tired or light-headed - your blood count may need to be checked.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

It is normal to have some bruising after surgery. You may have more if you where taking medicine prior to surgery that thins your blood ex. motrin, aleve aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil etc. Make sure you follow up with your surgeon to make sure everything is healing well.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Bruising After Liposuction?

It is completely normal to have some bruising after liposuction.  I would check with your surgeon ( hopefully a board certified plastic surgeon) and see what they have to say since only an in person examination will be able to reveal the extent of the bruising.  I hope this helps.

Learning about Liposuction & Bruising

With any type of surgery there is potential for bruising. I have many patients the next day who have none and some who have immediate bruising. This seems typical but will be better evaluated at your follow-up. I do recommend adding RF treatments (Venus Legacy, Exilis, Ultra, Vanquish) along with shock/vibration therapy Cellutone/z wave and hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results. Best, Dr. Emer

This may be normal but you really need to see your surgeon for a proper evaluation. Some bruising is expected but a picture alone is not enough to determine what is going on. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS