Is partial removal of the gland together with the fat tissue enough to cure gynecomastia?

My surgeon said that all men have a bit of a gland tissue and it is normal. He decided to cut only part of the gland and remove the fat, but i have puffy nipples and i am skinny. Would my doctor's decision cure my puffy nipples?

About Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Male breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  The glandular tissue is not removed completely during this procedure in order to leave some "cushion" behind the nipple so that it does not become indented.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for the question and I always try to remove the tissue under the nipples so the patient will not be left with puffy nipples after surgery being careful to not compromise the blood supply

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Puffy Nipples after Gynecomastia Correction

During gynecomastia correction, one has to leave a bit of breast tissue on the underside of the nipple otherwise the nipple will end up adhering down to the muscle fascia and puckering.  In other words, if you remove too much tissue, you will get an indentation.  If you don't remove enough, you get a puffy nipple.  So, you have to take enough but not too much.  It is the art of surgery.  Having said that, it is not too difficult to leave a bit too much behind which occasionally requires a minor revision in the office to take some tissue (or sometimes scar) out.

Treatment of Gynecomastia

If you are skinny and have puffy areolae, you need complete removal of the breast tissue below the areolae. Otherwise you may have the breast tissue grow back. I suggest you seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast tissue and gynecomastia

Small amounts of breast tissue are probably almost always left behind after gynecomastia treatment. The surgeon has to determine how much and where this is appropriate to get the best result. If you have further concerns, you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours.
Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.
Partial excision of the gland can cause return of the gynecomastia.I excise almost the whole gland.

Mordcai Blau, MD

You should trust your surgeon's judgement

Surgical techniques are exercised differently in different patients based on surgeon's judgement during surgery.  Surgeries are never cookie cutter. You should trust judgement exercised by your surgeon. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Your doctor is right. A small amount of glands are quite normal. You can discuss with him your specific concerns so that he can address them.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

The doctor was correct in that all men have Gland tissue. It's a matter of degree.  The most important thing is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon that does a lot of this type of surgery. More than one opinion would not be unusual. Yes, everyone is going to leave some amount of gland tissue Beneath The areola to avoid a depression.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon