Why does it take long for gynecomastia recovery?

I am one month post surgery and my chest still looks big, definitely a bit better than before the surgery, but my breasts still hang when I bend and I can literally pinch. My doctor said it takes around 3 months, but why is that the case, if i may ask?

Healing time after gynecomastia surgery

I would agree with your doctor that healing can continue for at least up to three months. I do not recommend results be fully analyzed earlier than six months. Different surgeries require different healing times based on how invasive it is and own particular body. Your surgeon would have the best idea about your healing time because he knows exactly what was performed. It is best to schedule a follow-up examination with him or her if you continue to have concerns  #healingtime #Gynecomastia #Surgery 

Recovery

Depending on the type of surgery you underwent will affect the timing of your recovery.  While pain decreases quickly,  healing will take months to reach its final state.  I tell patients preoperatively that we can expect to see our final results between 6-12 months.  The most important thing is that you stick to your postoperative restrictions and follow up with your surgeon to monitor you for any healing issues.    

Jacob Bloom, MD

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the type of gynecomastia surgery you had performed - direct gland excision versus liposuction versus both - the body takes time to fully heal.  It will initially respond to the "injury" of surgery by swelling to try and limit blood loss.  With the stretch of the skin that swelling causes it takes several weeks to months to fully resolve.  Additionally it takes that amount of time for your overlying tissues to heal back down to your muscle and shrink in size to your now smaller chest.  Hope this helps answer your question.  

Gynecomastia surgery - why so long to heal?

Thank you for asking about your gynecomastia surgery.

• In general, the swelling from surgery makes it hard to see your result.
  • Swelling takes at least 3 months for results to show - and 6 months or more to see the final result.
  • This is how human beings are genetically coded to heal - 
  • Possibly, as we evolved, the swelling provided protection after injury.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Recovery

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients wait at least three months as well before they can truly have a realistic idea of what their final results will be.  This is due to the fact that the body is still healing and reducing in swelling throughout this time period.  You must be patient and follow the instructions of your surgeon closely as you move forward in the healing process.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL