I'm 5"4 inches tall, 116 lbs. I'm getting a mastoplasty and implant. What is the best size implant for my petite frame? (photo)

I am having a mastoplasty and implant. My Dr said he would remove 1/2 of my breast tissue and a 200 cc implant would be the best size. I am concerned that the 200 cc implant will be too small but it is hard to tell what the implant will look like on top of current breast tissue. I don't want my breast to look to large for my frame but dont want them to be too small either. What is the best size implant?

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Implant size

I am not sure why your plastic surgeon is planning on removing breast tissue only to replace with an implant.  It is not uncommon to do some selective removal, or even one side removal and a lift to gain symmetry, but if you have adequate breast tissue, keeping what you have and repositioning it is the best option.  I first ask my patients if when they put on a non-padded bra are they pleased with the size. If the answer to that question is yes, then I would not recommend placing an implant.  Many patients want to be firmer and perkier, and that can be achieved with a lift and does not always require an implant unless they want to be bigger.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

The best implant for your frame

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

I'm 5"4 inches tall, 116 lbs. I'm getting a mastoplasty and implant. What is the best size implant for my petite frame?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  Best wishes!

You don't need implants. If you have your own tissue, why cut it out??

My impression is your breast size is plenty full enough to offer a very nice result with a mastopexy only.  Why get implants if you don't need them?   I almost never remove tissue simply to add an implant.    A well performed modern mastopexy will comprehensively lift the breast and remove skin.  Yes, you would need the traditional  yet limited anchor incisions (periareolar,  vertical and inframammary) . Are you generally happy with your breast size in a tight bra?  Why do you need to be bigger?  What truly are your goals.  A well performed lift will give you a more youthful look without all the long term issues related to implants (risk of capsules,  100% lifetime need for revisions, cost).    Your issue is ptosis (droopiness) breast, not small breasts.  Dr. DGDG   

David S. Goldberg, MD
Monterey Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast lift with an implant.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

I'm getting a mastoplasty and implant.

Without an examination and understanding of the lift it is quite impossible to know what implant might be best. The other issue is why remove any breast tissue at all if you are concerned the implant proposed will not be large enough. To only way to know what the implant will look like, or should for that matter, is to sit down with your surgeon and work with trial bras and photos to show him what your goal is, what you wish to look like. Also examples of  prior patients might also help you understand what to expect.

Best size implant for you

I appreciate your concern, because size does matter. I have found it most helpful to ask my patients to find photos of breasts that match their desires regarding size. This is most helpful in combined breast lift/augmentation surgery in selection of breast implant size. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Smaller is better long term with mastopexy augmentation

A breast lift with augmentation generates competing physical forces that can comprise durability of the result.  Adams (of UT Southwestern fame) has recently generated an algorithm in regards to decision making with this procedure.  You have reasonable breast volume and with a well executed vertical lift a small moderate or moderate plus implant will be all you need.  If you are unsure, you can always do things in stages.  Lift first and augmentation later if so desired.

Implant size

To determine the best implant for you would require an exam in person. If you decided on a size with your surgeon. you might want to do a baggy test to evaluate if the volume is what you want.