Why do I still have distorted tear troughs 11 months after Rhinoplasty? (photos)

Immediately following surgery my tear troughs were black and blue and filled with blood. My plastic surgeon says it will absorb on it's own but it has been almost a year and I look distorted.

Tear trough deformity after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and your photographs. From your photographs, it appears there is a tear trough deformity.  However, I would have to do a physical examination and carefully examine the area around the nose and the periorbital area to make a precise diagnosis.  My recommendation would be to go back to your original surgeon and if you do not receive satisfactory advice, make sure you seek a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. Best wishes in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Periorbital changes after rhinoplasty

Hello goldfish97, after a regular rhinoplasty no tear through deformity is expected. However after any kind of rhinoplasty some degree of swelling and bruises are expected in that area. They disappear usually in two weeks. After the swelling subside you may see the root of your nose different and you may comment yourself that this is deformity of tear through. Probably you have not get used to the appearance of your new eye-nose junction area. If you have problem with the appearance of your nose the best way is to consult with your primer doctor. Good luck.

Ege Ozgentas, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough discoloration

thank you for your pictures.  after rhinoplasty, depending on the amount of bruising you have, you may get hemosiderin staining of the tissues.  this is what gives bruises their particular color - the skin of the eyes being very thin and closely adherent to the muscle below make it particularly susceptible to swelling as well as prolonged bruising.  once you do get hemosiderin staining of the tissue, it can take a year or a year and a half to completely dissipate as the tissue itself has to exfoliate the staining all while breaking down the color as well.  you can do laser treatments for bruising to help break up that color, but it has been my experience that the longer it is after the initial trauma, the less effective they are.  your PS advice is correct - you have to give it some time.  best of luck.  i hope some of this helped shed some light on whats going on.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon