Gynecomastia or not? (Photos)

Hello,my name is George and I am 22 years old.I have a question about my nipples.When they are soft and not aroused they tend to sag a littlw bit,but whwn they get hard they tend to look normal.My question is do i have gynecomastia,or this is normal? Thank you.

Is this Gynecomastia?

Without seeing your body in person there is only some basic information that I can provide about the condition that may help you determine on your own...Gynecomastia in very simple terms is enlargement of the male chest caused by excessive growth of breast tissue inside the breast glands. The term gynecomastia comes from the Greek words  gynaik meaning “female” and  mastós meaning breast. So the two words gynaik and mastós joined together forms gynecomastia meaning female breasts. Gynecomastia is usually not life threatening nor does it affect an individual’s health. The real threat of gynecomastia is on the person’s self-esteem and self-confidence making men with this medical condition ashamed of their own body and sense of masculinity. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have breast enlargement and you think you are an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

It looks like you have good muscle development. I don't think you have gynecomastia. If you have cosmetic concerns about the appearance of your chest you could book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss options. That would include a physical exam which would give you much more information than the internet discussions.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia or what

It looks, on your first photo, that you may have a mild form of gynecomastia? There is a fulness underneath your areolas and nipples. That is a place where there is a disc of hard breast tissue that one can palpate or see in close view. If that is the case, resection of the tissue in local anesthesia with minimal scar hidden along lower border of areola is a cure. A detailed clinical evaluation is needed to establish right diagnosis.
You should seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. I see what you are talking about. I think this is just a normal, physiologic appearance. At rest, you may have just a slightly larger breast gland tissue beneath your nipple than you'd prefer, but it's not bad. I would likely not recommend surgical treatment in your mild case. If it really bothered you, Smartlipo may be a solution to consider. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon