Mommas who have had a lift w/implant, how is the recovery when you're a stay at home mom with an almost 2 year old?!?!?

I need a lift, but I'm concerned about recovery. Do you have any tips for me? How did you handle not picking up your little one? Or would you recommend holding off for another year until he is more self sufficient? I also have a 4 year old, but I can count on my hand the number of times I've had to pick him up in the past 4 months :)

Healing & Recovery Post Augmentation Mastopexy for Moms

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.
As I tell my patients, you make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery. If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical, strenuous activity for a specified period of time. Do not begin light aerobic #exercise for 3 weeks and strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Let your body tell you what it can tolerate. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.
Your procedure should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift and lifting after surgery

Thank you for your question. Breast lift with or without implants is a significant procedure with a recovery time of upto 6-8weeks. Wearing sports bra and giving yourself adequate rest is a key to stable, long term results.

In my patient I would recommend not lifting a child for the first 3-4wks, as this can make the breast quite sore especially if the implant was done below the muscle. 

I would certainly recommend holding off till your little one is more self sufficient or else have plenty of help at home if you want to pursue surgery at this stage. 

Hope this helps in making up your decision regarding this procedure and best of luck.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Lifting your child after a breast lift with implants

It’s always best to follow your doctor's advice. I tell my patients that for the first few days, they will need to depend on someone else to lift their children. Beginning on the third day after surgery, they can lift their children to transfer them into and out of a crib, high chair or car seat. If possible should hold off on carrying them for extended periods of time until the 14th day. This is mostly to ensure their comfort. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants - how to deal with my toddler

Thank you for your question about your breast lift with implants recovery.
  • If you have a breast lift with implants, you need someone to help you for 2 weeks for a baby that needs to be picked up a lot.
  • The risk of infection is higher with this procedure than some other cosmetic procedures -
  • Looking after and lifting your baby too early increases your risk of infectoin.
  • If you don't have help during the day while you recover, you should wait until your baby is older.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS