Is it more complicated to do a full Tummy tuck on someone that has had previous liposuction? (photos)

I was informed that do to skin laxity I will possibly require a horizontal & short vertical scar for my upcoming tummy tuck. In my previous BBL I did not have my pelvic area lipo, I would like to have that area lipo'ed with my tummy tuck. Is there a problem having it done with a tummy tuck? A Plastic Surgeon suggested that I don't get lipo do to blood flow restriction.

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello Gsheffield, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and tummy tuck

Yes, it is possible to have lipo at the same time as a tummy tuck. I prefer to confine the lipo to the waist or flanks in this case.

Tummytuck with liposuction

I appreciate your concern but studies have proven that liposuction and simultaneous Tummytuck has no effect on blood supply. I routinely perform liposuction on flanks and upper abdomen during Tummytuck without problems. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lipoabdominoplasty

A typical full abdominoplasty is a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. The trade off is a scar in the bikini line that extends hip to hip and a scar around the belly button. If a central tunnel abdominoplasty technique is used, liposuction done at the same time as the abdominoplasty is typically safe

The improvement in contour from these procedures depends on many factors. Realistic expectations are important and weight loss prior to surgery will often improve the final outcome.

See our link below for more information. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Lipoabdominoplasty

Is the best way to go, or a resection of the bottom layer of fat from the skin flap. Best contours are achieved by performed both at the same time. Some PS feel quite the opposite that leaving the extra fat takes away blood supply from the flap, depends who you talk to and what they believe. I agree, you may need a short vertical, never know till you are actually on the table. Best of luck

Lipo

Liposuction is now done routinely with abdominoplasties but it has to be done judiciously to avoid impairing the blood flow to the abdominal wall.  The hips, flanks, upper abdomen, and pubic area are usually safe at the same time.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Is it more complicated to do a full Tummy tuck on someone that has had previous liposuction?

Simple answer is YES. But to understand the issues is most important. There are potential vascular compromises and scar fibrosis of the lipo areas causing increased risks in the surgery for a Full TT. If these issues are not apparent to the operating surgeon complications occur at a high statistical rate. Also lipo up to ONLY 1 liter can be included with a Full TT by Florida Board of Medicine office surgery guidelines/rules... + the 'pelvic' lipo (which not sure exactly what that means) can be done to 1 liter ONLY.

Lipo with tummy tuck

A tummy tuck would help get rid of some of the extra skin in your case.  Liposuction is often combined with tummy tuck in a conservative manner in order to improve your shape.  It is true that too much liposuction can affect the blood flow to the healing area.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon