Can dermatolling worsen my melasma? (Photo)

I have used a Facial epilator and used to do almost monthly facial waxing. My skin is somewhat sensitive. I've been prescribed sigmacort and retrieve A for the past 3 months. Can dermarolling worsen the melasma and if it does can it be reversed? Is there a lasting treatment for melasma?

Micro-needling and melasma

Studies show micro-needling to be a safe procedure for skin types that are prone to post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation (PIH) or melasma. Micro-needling works by stimulating the skin, without causing damage, to trigger the release of growth factors to create more collagen and elastic fibers, resulting in thicker, healthier looking skin.

In my office, we use the ProCell Therapies system which combines motorized micro-needling with concentrated human growth factor serums made from human stem cells. Studies have shown these growth factors to be highly effective in the skin and are much more "anti-inflammatory" than growth factors derived from other cell types. This helps to prevent worsening of melasma, and in many cases, we have seen improvement of melasma from this treatment.

I do not like rollers as they create a more erratic pattern of "tears" through the skin rather than the clean, more evenly distributed punctures seen with the motorized micro-needling machines. 

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon