Do I just need a Panniculectomy or a TT with lipo? (Photos)

I have carried 5 babies including twins. I am 32 and just want to not have to buy bigger pants for my waist line.

Panniculectomy vs tummy tuck

First, you look great for having carried 5!  

I agree with my colleagues that you should consider a tummy tuck with liposuction.  A panniculectomy is a very limited procedure that simply excises the skin that hangs over and creates a fold on the lower abdominal wall.  A tummy tuck is a much more comprehensive procedure that allows tightening of the underlying musculature and restoration of your core, excision of lower abdominal soft tissue and contouring of upper abdominal adipose, as well as excision of redundant skin and redraping of loose skin.  You would achieve so much more by going through a formal abdominoplasty.  Consider a formal consultation with a plastic surgeon, and good luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Panniculectomy vs tummy tuck

Good day. A panniculectomy just removes the excess skin that you have from pregnancy. A tummy tuck also addresses the rectus abdominis (6 pack) muscle by bringing them back to the center. This will allow you to get a better, flatter abdomen with the best results. This coupled with Lipo gives you the best possible outcome.

Tahira Prendergast MD

Tahira Prendergast, MD
Columbus General Surgeon

Do I just need a Panniculectomy or a TT with lipo?

Certainly if you are going to all the trouble of having either surgery, I would recommend having the the Tummy Tuck procedure. This would involve tightening and strengthening the abdominal wall and would enhance the overall results of the procedure. As you know pregnancy significantly stretches the fibrous portion of the abdominal wall (fascia) that no amount of sit-ups will fix. I'm concerned that be omitting this portion of the procedure, you may be disappointed in the results.