What are my options in getting dental implants? Other than a bone graft how about metals or plastics etc? (photo)

What are my options in getting implants? This is a result of oral cancer. I'm currently being treated at NYU Oral Cancer Center in New York. A temporary device is being made to allow me to eat some solid food. Thank you.

Implants after oral cancer

Dear johnf65:

I am sorry that you have had to deal with this debilitating and disfiguring disease.  However, you are in good hands.  NYU is a major center and the knowledge base in treating cases such as yours is one of the largest in the world.  Ask to be referred to the Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics.  Prosthodontics is the specialty area of dentistry which deals with your situation.  As a matter of fact, there are actually prosthodontist who go for advanced training in Maxillofacial Prosthodontics, which is the branch which deals with restoration after cancer and trauma.  Before any implants can be considered and placed, a proper tooth arrangement in a denture has to be fabricated.  Only after that can you consider having your teeth restored with implants if the new bone is vital.

Talk to your treating oral surgeon and get a referral to the department of Prosthodontics.  They are located on the 4th floor.