Do I need surgery to fix damage from a botch tear trough filler? I've tried 8 months of Roc and Olay. No improvement. (photos)

I had tear traugh filler done in July of last year. The doctor an anesthesiologist who also does injectable fillers. He confidently told me he could fix my tear traugh issue with filler. I wanted to avoid a lower bleph as I am only 32. Hurt like hell when he injected me. It lumped up and he seemed nervous about this. Used an entire syringe and then went to refill another, overfilling even more than the other eye! He used excessive tugging at my delicate undereye skin in attempt smooth it. .

Doctor Answers 4

Fixing tear trough filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Which product was used? If it was a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Resylane than it can be dissolved. In the future, I suggest seeing only a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for cosmetic procedures. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Filling in the Lower Eyelid

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. The first issue here is that you had an anesthesiologist place facial fillers. This is an issue, because an anesthesiologist is not trained to do this. You should seek a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist- as these specialties are trained to inject fillers. You can be seen by one of these individuals and they can inject hyaluronidase (the enzyme which breaks up hyaluronic acid- the compound that most facial fillers are made of). Alternately- time will eventually settle out this issue. Good Luck!

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon


Thank you for the pictures. this definitely looks like overfill, and it will not get better. In terms of moving forward from here, much depends on the type of filler used. I suggest that you see an oculoplastics specialist as a starting point  who will probably be able to dissolve the filer with hyaluronidas and then consider a more gentle refill if required.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Dissolve it

The tear trough is a delicate area that needs expertise and gentle filling at a deep level. Excessive hyaluronic acid gives this problem. You should seek a doctor who can dissolve it with hyaluronidase.

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.