How long will I be sore after a tummy tuck?

How long will my abs be sore? I am 3 months out from my tummy tuck with minor muscle repair? It still is sore to sit up in the bed or if I twist quickly like when you get startled? Still uncomfortable enough not back to palates yet. Happy with results just curious if I should still be sore.

Ill I be sore after a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you. However, it is common to have some pain till healing is complete. External healing of the incision occurrs in the first 14-21 days. The scar tissue remodels which can take up to 18 months and scar massage is vital during this phase. It is important for you to have your board certified plastic surgeon examine you. Good luck.

Congrats on a great result. So this is pretty classic. Most patients do not realize that the scar tissue that forms between the skin and muscle is real. It needs to be worked on and broken down. Massage, massage, massage. Until that is broken down it may hurt when you do stuff. Get a foam roller and roll your abs and tummy. That will help. External scars take 12 months to completely remodel and soften. So do internal scars! So give it time. Try to push yourself a little and really work on the scar. It will not soften in 1 day, 1 week or 1 month. It will take consistent dedication from you to work on the scar. It will get better if you work on it. My suggestion. Take the 21 day commitment and do something for it ever single day for 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes a day of real massage or foam rolling will make a difference. Mark a calender to make yourself accountable and just do it. Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Healing after a tummy tuck

Healing after a tummy tuck is usually retty straight forward. There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery. The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens. It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. Wishing you a speddy recovery!