Why are my crowns sensitive?

When I was 18, I fell and broke my two front teeth. I got crowns to cover both teeth. They were porcelain on front, metal on back. I am now 28 and decided last December to replace the crowns with full porcelain, strictly for cosmetic reasons. Teeth were sensitive for a few weeks then got better. 4 mo later sensitivity to cold and air came back and has stayed. I use sensodyne and sleep in a night guard. It's only the left front tooth that's sensitive. Very weird that it's not both. Any ideas??

Sensitivity with #crowns #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
My advice for you would be to return to your dentist for an evaluation. Often times, a simple bite adjustment will fix the issue. However, if you are still experiencing the same symptoms after having your bite adjusted, root canal treatment may be necessary. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Saint Louis Dentist

Sensitive crowns

Preparing teeth for crowns may exacerbate an existing chronic inflammation in a tooth. In addition, one of the risks of have a crown is temporary or permanent damage to the tooth nerve that may require root canal treatment. You may experience sensitivity in a tooth that you thought was OK before the crown. I suggest getting your tooth evaluated by your dentist to determine the cause of the sensitivity. Good luck

Yasser A. Elseweifi, DDS
Chicago Dentist