Can I share a house with someone who smokes if they only smoke outside and the windows are closed?

I am having a Breast reduction August 15th. My mother, who is a smoker, would like to come to help me out around the house. As is always the case when she stays with us, she would go outside the house to smoke. Our windows are not open for smoke to come in. Is this ok?

If your mother is smoking outside, then you should not have a problem.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

Second hand smoke may be as bad as smoking yourself. Sounds like a good plan if your Mom smokes outside.

Second hand smoke exposure after breast reduction surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breast reduction surgery. We definitely recommend that if you are a smoker, to quit smoking at least 4 weeks before your surgery and the data supports this recommendation. This decreases your risk of #wound healing and complications after surgery. Since you are not a smoker and your mother will be smoking outside of the home, you will be fine. Any chance you can to prevent exposure to #tobacco/nicotine products, increase your success of proper healing. One of the most important things to remember is to follow ALL of your post-opinion instructions. Good luck!

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 
 In regards to your question: you should be okay. You are wise to stay away from all types of nicotine products and secondhand smoke.  Best wishes for a complication free course and an outcome that you will be very pleased with.