Post op swelling of liposuction on inner & outer thighs? (Photo)

Im post op of inner /outer thigh lipo. I was fine the 1St few days, relatively, today, day 3, Im caring for my children & 2 hours of walking around/bending down, my thighs have swollen to 3xs their original size. Even after surgery. I felt them tight, starting to get sore. I used the bathroom I noticed my swelling from my knee up, BAD swelling that wasn't there 2.5 hrs earlier. My doctor yelled about irreversible damage but didn't say how. What does this mean, irreversible damage???

Swelling

Dear Cricket7690,

Thank you for your question. Swelling after liposuction, especially just 3 days after surgery is to be expected. However for at lease the first week it would be a good idea to get some help caring for your children since you are recovering. As for the irreversible damage you will need to ask what your surgeon means by that. If you are concerned it is best to see your surgeon in person to be evaluated. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

Swelling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Cricket7690,

Post-op liposuction

Recovery can range from 5-7 days for liposuction and up to two weeks for more extensive body lifting procedures. The results of body contouring are typically long-lasting provided that a stable weight is maintained.

Post-op liposuction

Swelling

Swelling is common after liposuction and a compression garment can help. Low sodium diets can also help but in the early period adequate hydration is important.

Swelling

Liposuction - swelling from doing too much

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Liposuction causes a lot of swelling -
  • Going back in 48 hours to full time house work and child care will make your swelling much worse.
  • Only your surgeon can tell you what s/he means by 'irreversible' damage -
  • It suggests concern that the swelling will stretch your skin and make it permanently loose.
  • You have to either get someone to help you with your children - or accept the swelling and what it may do to your skin.
  • You may benefit from a snugger compression garment, one that goes below the knees and/or compression stockings -
  • Please discuss this with your surgeon.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS