Is it me or is my nose changing? (photos)

I'm 35 and over the past few years I've noticed my nose getting bigger. Especially over the past year. Is it just me or can you see the difference and what rhinoplasty techniques would help? Is it a bulbous tip or cartilage issue (or something else)? Oddly enough I also completely lost my sense of smell about 4 years ago. I went and saw an otolaryngologists who couldn't come up with any reason as to why and said everything internally looked fine.

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the bulbous tip. To narrow the bulbous tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the nasal tip cartilages. too narrow a wide bridge line requires osteotomy's. A CAT scan of the sinuses is required to rule out nasal polyps as the possible cause of the loss of sense of smell. For more information and many examples of bulbous tip production, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

You might want to consider a tip rhinoplasty if that is all that is bothering you. A full exam in person would be essential to determine this. 

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  This can happen to many patients as one ages.   Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nose changing

Thank you for your question.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.  You will want to look for a surgeon that is Board Certified and they can explore the possibilities with you. Best of Luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can give you a nasal examination and an accurate opinion on how to correct the things you are unhappy with about your nose. It wouldn’t hurt to have another internal examination and second opinion in case they catch something the first doctor may have missed. The nose does continue to grow over time, it looks as though you do have a bulbous tip and would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Is it me or is my nose changing?

Your facial appearance as well as your nose can change over time.  If you no longer are happy with your nose, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss Rhinoplasty.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty and age

Great question.  Although the nose does change with time as well, it is often the change to the face with aging that then makes the nose look different in proportions.  If you look closely I think you will notice that you have lost some volume from your face.  Going forward, you options would include adding some volume to your face for rejuvenation and/or a rhinoplasty.  There are many different types of rhinoplasty surgery.  The one that would be best for you will depend on the plastic surgeon that you end up deciding to do your rhinoplasty procedure.  I recommend getting 2-3 consultations from board certified plastic surgeons in your community and getting their opinion about your options.

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty

The nose does change over time. This can include a loss of support and changes in the skin.  Often the nose will look longer and be more droopy. These changes, along with possible changes in the nasal lining due to allergies or sinus disease, can lead to decreased airflow and possibly a decreased sense of smell.Fortunately many of these changes can be corrected with rhinoplasty and functional nasal surgery. I would recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who regularly performs rhinoplasty to explore your options.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal changes

The appearance of one's nose can certainly change over time. Based on your photos, keep in mind that the appearance of your nose changes depending on whether you are smiling or in a neutral position. If you no longer like the appearance of your nose, you would be a good candidate for rhinoplasty, either using open or closed techniques to reduce the size and position of the tip. There are too many details to discuss here, but an in-person consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will answer all of your questions. Additionally, computer imaging can be performed on photos of you nose to simulate the effects of surgery. Regarding your loss of smell, there are multiple potential causes, most commonly because of a viral infection or trauma. Nasal polyps and chronic sinusitis are other causes but your ENT didn't see anything--to cover all bases an MRI can determine if there are other less common issues involving the area where your smell receptors are located. You may want to pose this question to your ENT to see if he/she has enough concern to perform further work-up. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon