I have the "baby pooch," is there any exercises that I could do to avoid a tummy tuck or am I out of luck? (Photos)

In this picture the left is my wish and the right is now. Is it achievable?

Your wish-pic is not going to happen, even with surgery

On your morphed photo, you've narrowed your waist significantly.  That's not possible in you without rib removal (don't do that).  Certainly, the skin on the lower part of your belly can be tightened with either a full or mini tummy tuck.  There are no exercises that will tighten skin and no non-invasive therapies that work reliably.  See a plastic surgeon in your area that is a member of ASPS or ASAPS and get their opinion.  Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I have the "baby pooch," is there any exercises that I could do to avoid a tummy tuck or am I out of luck?

You can opt for a Mini Tummy Tuck with some Liposuction if you want to avoid a full Tummy Tuck. Exercises alone will not result in tightening of the skin. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  Basically you have excess skin and loose abdominal muscles as a result of pregnancy.  The only thing surgically I would recommend is a tummy tuck- it would be great if exercise were able to shrink the skin- but that's unlikely.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

What are we aiming for?

I think the simulation test has you morphed into a shape you inherently dont have.  Be careful of that because you will be disappointed if that is your goal.  Lose the weight - get fit ..see how the happiness factor is.  If skin laxity is still an issue consider a tummy tuck.  Pull out your pre-baby pictures..shoot for that shape.

What to do about a "baby pooch"

Many thanks for posting your question.

From what I can see in your photographs, the main issue is one of skin laxity and stretch marks, likely to have been caused by previous pregnancy.

Whilst diet and exercise should be the mainstay of improving the appearance of your abdomen, they will not address the skin issues.

A form of tummy tuck is likely to help on that front.

Good luck

Baby Pooch

Diet and exercise is always the best course of action but if that doesn't work,
you may be a good candidate for liposuction or a mini abdominoplasty.
Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you do your best through diet and exercise for now; no one will be able to predict whether or not you will be pleased enough with the changes that these these efforts bring about. Employing a good personal trainer may be helpful.

Having said that, it is not unusual for patients to require help from plastic surgeons, even though they have done their best through diet exercise to achieve their goals.  In other words, sometimes the changes that occur around the time of pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, cannot be completely reversed despite careful attention to diet and exercise.  In those cases seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes they would be pleased with will be key.

Full tummy tuck

From this pictures it seems like you have enough skin laxity for a full tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon