More fat transfer or Radiesse?

I had facial fat transfer five weeks ago and am mostly happy with the treatment. However, there is no improvement in the nasolabial lines and other indentations around my mouth. My surgeon has suggested Radiesse as a correction. So I'm looking for advice: Another round of fat grafting for about $1300 for the facility and anesthesiologist fees or Radiesse for about $600 every 4-6 months?

Radiesse Improves Mid-Face NasoLabial folds

Radiesse can easily add volume to the  mid and lower face without anesthesia and with a predictable longevity of 12 or more months. Fat transfers can be as effective if the surgeon is skilled at detailing deep lines and wrinkles but how long it will last can range from 2 months to years.

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Fat transfer or Radiesse?

Thank you for asking about your fat transfers and Radiesse.

• Your surgeon has given you a good option - Radiesse is easy and less expensive.
  • However fat transfers can be done in the office with local anesthesia - if you are happy with the results, then having more fat transfers is another option.
  • If the problem is a line (not a fold) around the mouth Restylane Silk in the line may be a better filler choice.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent? Versus Fillers?

Fat is safe and should be injected with PRP to get the best outcome. You need a formal consultation to determine which is better for your given situation, fillers are excellent and have little downtime. Best, Dr. Emer.

Fillers are popular

Fillers such as Radiesse or Juvederm are very popular as office treatments.
Ask your doc if you can skip the facility fees and anesthesia and just do it under local anesthesia as an office procedure. 
Local fat harvesting and injections do not require an OR or an anesthesiologist.

Fat transfer for nasolabial creases

Fat is relatively soft and works best for overall volume replacement but is not as effective for discrete creases and wrinkles, especially if they are deep or etched.  If that is the case with your areas of concern, you may wish to have Radiesse as you mentioned or an HA filler for those areas instead of additional fat grafting. Also keep in mind that it can take several months to see the final results of your fat grafting procedure. 

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon