Will my black ink medium sized tattoo be easy to remove? (Photos)

I have just gotten a mandala tattoo yesterday and it didn't come out how I wanted it to and I'm already thinking about getting it removed. How many treatments would I need? How much would it cost?

Forearm tattoo removal

This is fairly thick ink. It will take 8-10 or more treatments with a typical QS laser. A Pico laser would be less. I would like to point out that complete removal is not always possible and cost will be most likely over $1000, probably closer to $1500. This is a long process with about 6 weeks between treatments. It should not be taken lightly, there is always a risk for scarring as well.

PicoSure but you should allow time to heal.....

Thanks for your question and photos. Because your tattoo is so fresh, you may want to wait until it has completely healed, definitely a couple of months. Picosure laser offers advanced technology that can easily and effectively remove nearly any pigment color from nearly any skin type or skin color. The pigmentation in the tattoo absorbs the heat from the laser more than your surrounding tissues. This absorption causes the ink and coloring to disappear and naturally be removed from your body, leaving you with a tattoo-free appearance. Pricing is difficult to provide as the number of treatments should be assessed by a board-certified dermatologist. Best to have an in person consultation. Hope this helps! Best, Dr.Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Black is the easiest tattoo ink to remove

Yes, you tattoo can be removed.  We use the Cynosure PicoSure, Quanta Prima Pico and the Fotona QX-Max lasers for tattoo removal.  All of these laser are safe and effective for treating this type and color of tattoo with black ink.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

Lasers can be used to remove this tattoo but will take a series of treatments.  Costs will vary depending on the practitioner you choose. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Tattoo Removal

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments on average. The amount of treatments can vary based on how quickly your body eliminates the ink as well as the amount of ink present. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths.  I believe that tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. I also think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, but it will require a bit of work to get it done

Tattoos are removable but the costs are generally anywhere from 10 times to 20 times the cost of the actual tattoo.  This one is going to be complicated by the fact that it is fairly large and will require anesthetic prior to treatment. 

We do a method called the 'stacked' tattoo removal where we do 4 treatments in one session.  This allows for fewer sessions and better results.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Since your tattoo is black it will be easier to remove than some difficult multicolored tattoos. It will take several treatments spaced 8 weeks apart to have the best cosmetic results with the proper laser such as the Alex Tri-Vantage Laser.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green