I'm 5'5 and weigh 230. Can I have successful Tummy Tuck w/Lipo of the flanks?

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. It is important to have your BMI under 30 before proceeding with any type of procedure. It would b great to add a few photos to your question so that we can evaluate and help you better. Best of luck 

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question and photo.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this goal is not possible, your BMI should be less than 30 to minimize the risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tummy tuck and liposuction

You should consider posting photos or having an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon. Where you carry your weight is very important and the answer on whether your procedure can happen sooner or after you lose the weight. Good luck!

Tummy tuck on overweight people

You will have a better result with fewer chances of complications if you can lose weight first. For someone of your height and weight to active a BMI of 30 you would have to lose 50 lbs. If that is not going to be possible for you, you can still have a tummy tuck and liposuction but you have to have realistic expectations, and see a surgeon who has operated on people of your size with good results. Good luck. 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Is weight loss before a Tummy tuck absolutely necessary?

While a tummy tuck and liposuction is not a weight loss surgery, you may still benefit from having the procedure. Many women have loose skin and unwanted bulges that, when treated with a tummy tuck and liposuction, will help their clothes to fit better and give them a smoother contour.  It may be beneficial from an overall health perspective, such as lowering blood pressure, reducing diabetes and joint disease risks, to lose weight and if you are able to do so before surgery, that would be ideal.  However, many patients find that after having a contouring procedure such as a tummy tuck, it motivates them to drop some weight which can have the benefit of both enhancing their result as well as their overall health.  Talk to your surgeon about your expectations and his philosophy and you will be able to come up with a plan that you are both comfortable to help you safely achieve the best results.

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.I would recommend losing some weight first, so that your BMI is at least 30 or below. As long as you are in the BMI range of 30 or below it is best to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher health risk and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

It all depends upon your exam and any medical issues. This would be discussed during consultation with a plastic surgeon.

High BMI and Tummy Tuck

Your high body mass index suggests that you will have a high risk of complications from abdominoplasty surgery and that you are carrying excess tissue on your frame.  The chance that you will achieve a great result is low.  Go ahead with a weight loss program first and then reassess.  You need to be at a weight that you love and can maintain and then remove excess skin to get a really great result with a low risk of complications.All the best!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon