What must be done to dramatically reduce the width of my nose and create more shape to it? (photos)

My nose is far too wide for my face, it is not balanced and needs to be dramatically slimmed down. Also, I do not like the angle of my nose because it completely displays my nostrils. My nostrils can also flare out extremely large. My nose also lacks shape. What must I get done, and how much will it cost?

Surgical rhinoplasty too narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. To narrow the wide nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones and a  tip-plasty to narrow  wide nasal tip cartilages. To bring down the angle of the nasal tip will require significant augmentation to the bridge line to build up that area which helps push the tip downwards in addition to augmenting the bridge line. For many before-and-after examples, and our current price list, please see the link and the video below 

What must be done to dramatically reduce the width of my nose and create more shape to it?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I am sorry to hear that you don't like your nose. Thankfully, a rhinoplasty can address all of your concerns -- narrowing the width, reducing your nostrils and raising the bridge. The cost is going to vary by surgeon to surgeon and state to state. My best advice would be for you to find the board certified plastic surgeons in your area (look them up on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website) and then call the 2 or 3 whose nose work you like best for a quote. Keep in mind that there are financing options which I discuss in the attached video. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos. Your nose can benefit from some adjustments. The bridge and nostrils can be narrowed. The bridge needs some augmentation to get it higher. The tip can be refined as much as the skin will let it (depending on skin thickness). It can be less turned up so it displays less nostril. Good luck with your search. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

W

Yes, your nose can refined in every direction. You have a flat, wide nose that can be improved, the nostril show can be reduced and the bridge scan lightly be augmenting. The cost varies depending on whether you have breathing issues or not. 

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. From what I can tell in your photo, you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. You may also benefit from an alarplasty which is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD