Lumpy bridge and bigger nose (6 months post op), is this normal? (photos)

I got my rhinoplasty and septoplasty 6 months ago and it was supposed to narrow my bridge, get rid of a bump, narrow the tip, and fix my deviated septum. My nose is NOW twice as wide, appears larger, and looks deformed because it is both lumpy and uneven. My tip is also droopy and way lower than before. Is this surgery botched? Can I expect any major changes? I have also gotten steroid shots for swelling about 6 weeks ago.

Yeah, your complaints seem justified by the photos you posted.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that likely are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Mostly, I elevated and narrowed the tip of your nose, as I did in the short video just above. Depending on your preferences, the tip could be elevated even more. The bad news is that the tip of your nose probably won't elevate on its own any more with continued healing from your previous surgery. The good news is that elevating a tip is one of the most predictably changes to make, even in a revision, with an expert's skill. If your nose was not expertly handled, then narrowing the tip should be fairly predictable as well.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon, specifically, whether you should let your primary surgeon perform your revision.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative edema

The edema after the surgery can last for up to a year and can hide the final results.  Also the photographs presented do not give enough information to make a judgment.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

At 6 months you are likely still swollen, especially in the tip. This can take a year or longer for the swelling to subside.

Rhinoplasty results

I'm sorry you're dissatisfied with your rhinoplasty results. You may continue to experience subtle changes to your nose as healing continues, but based on the photos you've included, a surgical revision may be necessary. An in-person exam will be important to determine the best course of action. Be sure to consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for best results. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommend Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon

You still have about 6 more months to heal.  If you are unhappy with the final result at that time, talk to your surgeon and see if has a plan that can make you happy.  If you both choose to not move forward with a revision procedure, then you can consider consulting with a revision rhinoplasty specialist in the area.  Proper rhinoplasty results necessitate cartilage grafting techniques, so i recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic and/or plastic surgeon.

Karan Dhir, MD