How to tell the difference between male pattern baldness and losing your hair from weight loss/traumatic experience? (Photo)

I'm a 20 year old 6'2 black male. I've aways been extremely healthy and athletic with thick wavy hair. In October I got extremely depressed for the first time. I was barely eating and in less than a month my weight went from 185 all the way down to around 160. It is now February and I've started to gain my weight back. However around January out of know where my hair became very coarse and looked and felt dry and broken. Also the hair in the middle of my scalp wasn't growing as thick as usual.

How to tell the difference between male pattern baldness and losing your hair from weight loss/traumatic experience?

Greetings

The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Greetings

Male pattern balding vs hair loss from weight loss

The only way to accurately figure out what you have is to see a physician for a detailed examination.

In general, male pattern hair loss occurs in a "pattern" meaning certain areas of the scalp are more affected than others. For most men this includes the crown or the frontal scalp, especially the temples.  Hair loss from weight loss or the stress of a traumatic experience leads to hair loss all over the scalp. We call this 'diffuse loss'. This type of diffuse hair loss is unusual in male pattern balding. 

Hair Loss and Types

You need to see a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation.  There are many options such as PRP, minoxidil, finesteride, and progesterone.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hair Loss and Types

You can tell the difference between male pattern balding and diffuse hair loss from weight loss by seeing a "pattern"

You can tell the difference between male pattern balding and diffuse hair loss from weight loss by seeing a "pattern" in male pattern balding.  If you are not sure, see a doctor for a proper exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon