Is 210 too heavy to get a full tummy tuck and lipo? (Photo)

I have yo-yo dieted for so long and I have been debating about surgery for 2 years now but I feel like I am ready to make the leap if possible at the weight that i am now. I would like full tummy tuck Lipo in abdomin , love handles, and back. Also beable to transfer fat to my buttocks

Is 210 too heavy to get a full tummy tuck and lipo?

YES! With your high BMI the complication risks are much more significant. Loss 30 pounds+ before having a Full TT.

Too heavy for a Tummy Tuck?

Generally speaking the answer is YES. This is too heavy. Try to lose weight first. Your BMI depends on your height as well as your weight and you did not disclose your height.

Being overweight increases your chances of getting a poor result and increases your chances of complications. It makes the surgery longer. In particular, it increases your chances of getting a blood clot that can be fatal.  

Your board certified plastic surgeon will be able to review your health and goals to make a more informed decision.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Is 210 pounds too heavy to have a full tummy tuck and lipo?

• Yes, 210 pounds is too heavy for this procedure. It would be not be safe and you would have increased risk of pulmonary embolism, wound dehiscence, and infection. I do not believe that plastic surgery at this stage would meet your goals. I would strongly advise to enroll in a weight loss program and lose approximately 50 pounds before you proceed with cosmetic surgery. 

Advice about abdominal contouring procedure

Thank you for your query. I would strongly advice you to stabilise your weight for at least 6months before considering surgery as weight changes will play havoc with surgical results. Also the weight needs to be steady thereafter.

I normally do not operate if the patient has a high BMI as the complication rates can be substantial.

The procedure you desire is complex and lengthy if substantial healing issues. Optimizing yourself for this operation is a key.

I hope this helps you in making an informed decision about pursuing surgery at this juncture. 

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lipo and weight concerns?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.

Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question and photo.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

It is too heavy

You will not get good results from tummy tuck at your present weight.  Also being over weight adds to risks of surgery.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Morbid Obesity and Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

Is 210 pounds too heavy for a Tummy Tuck?
It depends.
- How flat do you want to be?
- How attractive do you want to look?
- How much risk (blood clots, infection, wound separation, ugly scarring) are you willing to accept?

It has been proven repeatedly that we obtain our best results when we operate on people who are at their ideal weight or BMI of UNDER 30. I prefer 27 and lower. In your case, it may mean dropping your weight into the 160's since we cannot surgically remove 40 pounds or so of flesh and fat.

The long term complication of obesity (arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, strokes etc) are very disabling. You may do a lot better with weight loss surgery which could save your life and stabilize your weight at a healthy level which would allow MUCH bertter cosmetic results.

Peter Aldea  MD
Memphis, TN

Too heavy?

You will have a much nicer result if you are able to get closer to your ideal body weight prior to a tummy tuck, whether by diet and exercise or weight loss surgery.  Not only will the operation be safer and less prone to complications afterwards, but you will also have a more aesthetically pleasing end result.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and body contouring surgery.

Body contouring surgery is not weight loss surgery.  My recommendation is to use your money for a bariatric procedure and get your weight down to a healthy level before getting a tummy tuck.