Will the size of my implants get bigger as they drop and heal? (photo)

I am 13 days post op and I have 650cc saline under the muscle in the left breast and 665cc in the right with a lift. My breast don't look as big as I hoped and I am wondering if as they heal and drop and the swelling goes away if the size is going to be bigger?

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Will the size of my implants get bigger as they drop and heal?

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in your recovery to see your results. It can take 6 weeks to 3 months for your implants to settle. If you are concerned, you can speak to your plastic surgeon about tips to help with your recovery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Not as big as I had hoped

You are very early post op things will look different in 6 months reevaluate at that time.    Good Luck

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

No size increase with time

Your result is very early at this time.  I always tell my patients (especially with both a lift and augmentation) that it may take 6 months for the breasts to assume their true shape.  It takes at least that long for scars to soften and fade.  The implants themselves will remain the same size/volume but will appear to settle over the next 6-8 weeks.  Of course, all of this activity will make them look more natural but not larger.  Give the result some time before you form a firm opinion.  And remember, you currently have a fairly generous implant volume.  Going up from here will add weight and width to your chest and possibly make you appear heavier than you are.  And, with very large implants, there will likely be long term consequences on your skin and tissue over time (I try to steer patients away from that if possible).  Enjoy your result! 

Thank you for your question.  As your implants settle in and the swelling goes down, your breasts will assume a more natural appearance.  They won't look bigger.  Allow at least 3-6 months before getting a better idea of how your breasts will look like.  Communicate your concerns to your surgeon to get further guidance.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Bigger breasts in time after op

Hi

The answer is no they are not going to look bigger as the swelling subsides but they may look a more natural shape than they do at present. 650cc is a very large implant and with a lift the main concern is that all heals well without any problems. best wishes

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

6 MONTHS

It takes 3 months for the swelling to resolve and 6 months for the implants to drop. During this time, the breast and the muscle softens up to the new implant. The actual size of the breast will not change significantly, because this is a fixed volume , however a small decrease in swelling will result is a slightly smaller breast volume due to decreased swelling.  The shape will change over 6 months.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. Though you will lose some apparent size with swelling and a redistribution of the implant volume into the lower portion of your breast your overall size will not change materially. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then.

Give it time

Thank you for the question and photo.  It is still too early to judge your final result.  It could take a good 4-6 months for your implants to fully settle and achieve the final look.  At this point, swelling is normal but as time goes on and as your implants continue to settle, your implant are not going to get bigger.  It's normal to feel a little remorse but I'm sure you'll love your final result.  It looks good as of now.  Best of luck,  Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Swelling and implant size

It is very early at 13 days to judge your look. As the swelling resolves, your implants will be in a more natural position, filling out more of the inferior pole of your breasts. So to answer your question, your breasts will not get "bigger", but you will have a more defined natural shape.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon