Swelling after liposuction?

Is it normal to have little swelling early on 4weeks after surgery and then swell back up at 7 weeks again? My dr told me to stop wearing my garmet at 5 weeks. It's like my progress was good then I just jumped back to where I started. The liposuction I had done was on my stomach and the dr said is was very aggressive lipo. Is it normal to have such drastic changes from the early on stages to later stages changing for the worse? The PA checked me for seroma but she said I didnt have one.

Dr Derby

The post op swelling process goes up and down unfortunately. You first will see less swelling a few weeks after the surgery compared to the day after .... and then it will have moments where swelling gets worse again. This is a months process where you have good and bad days.... depending also how active you were during the day even.... A liposuction is a serious procedure and you cause significant damage to the lymphatic tissues. The recuperation of these vessels can take many months. Best of luck  

Liposuction Swelling

It is very unusual to have a return of swelling, and seroma is likely. Go see the doctor.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Postoperative Pain

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction. Massage, RF treatments and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice most of my patients have very little pain 1 week after following my liposuction protocol postoperative. I suggest speaking with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer.

Is normal that you be swelling yet

Hello dear

Liposuction is a very traumatic procedure for the tissues. The lymphatic tissues, or the tiny vessels that remove fluid from the tissues, are significantly damaged during liposuction. It is this reason that the swelling lasts so long.

These tiny vessels need to reestablish themselves to remove this fluid.

This can take up to 6 months. However, significantly noticeable contour irregularities that need to be addressed will be visible sooner, ask to the doctor about wearing  garmet, the best recover to you dear.

Disnalda Matos, MD

#Liposuction - Swelling after liposuction?

It can occur but I would not consider that completely normal.

Swelling goes up and down during the recovery but the overall trend should be down (ie less swelling).  I tell my patients that it's essentially two steps forward, one step back.  Much of the swelling is down by about 4-6 weeks although it can take up to 6 months (and sometimes even longer) for all of it to dissipate.

However, having a sudden increase at this late stage of the recovery is a little unusual. I'm glad that the PA said that it's not a seroma - but you should speak with the PS directly, and arrange to be seen in person for that assessment.  Non-invasive diagnostic tests include an ultrasound, and even a needle aspiration to check one or two areas is warranted for swelling that cannot otherwise be explained.  Finally, you can consider a second opinion with a board-certified plastic surgeon for completeness.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500