Why some surgeon direct the patients to wear just a cami and others direct the patient to wear surgical bra?

I was given a ace wrap to wear the first two days after my ba surgery. Then my ps told me to wear a cami/ tank top without bra type support so that my implants will naturally drop by gravity. I see his point. But why some ps want their patients to wear surgical bra and others don't? Just curious! Thank you

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the use of supportive bras  after breast augmentation and revisionary breast surgery.  I think that the support provided by bras can only help keep breast implants in proper position, especially  during the first year as the breast implant capsule thickens and becomes more supportive itself.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Methods

I actually use tape for the first day or 2 to keep the implant down.  got tired of aces because people removed them. then a soft bra... but nothing that pulls up just like your surgeon.there are many methods so in all honesty probably none of them are wrong!

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Post operative instructions after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Each plastic surgeon varies slightly on their recommendations following breast augmentation.  I recommend a compression bra following 3 days of an ace wrap.  However, it is always best to speak with your plastic surgeon and follow their instructions following surgery.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Post-operative garments after breast augs

I appreciate the thoughtful questions. There are many variances of devices and methods for postoperative compression garments used by surgeons following breast augmentation.  I prefer to use a bra and a small ace wrap Placed strategically on top of the breasts and low in the back to help with swelling and reduce the chance of the implants moving up.  At one week follow up, if the implants a rather high, we will go ahead and use a Cami shirt with the ace band on top of the breasts. Once again, it depends upon the position of the implant during the immediate postoperative procedure. 

Sean T. Lille, MD

Garments

You are very perceptive. Each surgeon has their own way of doing things,and each patient's case is different.  

Why some surgeon direct the patient's to wear a cami and others bras?

Thank you for your excellent question.  The choice of post-surgical garment is largely physician dependent and not necessarily a result of one working "better" than another.  I would recommend speaking with your doctor about their recommendations as they know what works best for their patients.  

Helping implants drop

The most important component of the postoperative management with garments involves wearing of a breast band that is worn over or on top of the implants in order to encourage your implants to drop into the proper pocket.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Bra regimen!

Great question!This really comes down to individual surgeons preferences and opinions. I am not aware of any good evidence that the use of a bra after surgery affects the outcome. The majority of surgeons where I work agree that support for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery is important although the precise details vary. Good support when exercising is also advisable thereafter. I think comfort is really important and that is usually my first consideration.Best wishes

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Proper healing after breast augmentation is better with a well fitting bra

Allowing the implants to "drop" after surgery shouldn't be necessary if they are properly placed. All that needs to happen is for the muscle to relax, not for the implants to fall south. Allowing dropping or lateral displacement can set you up for a bottomed out result requiring a revision. It takes 3 months to fully heal the pocket around the implants with a capsule so that they cannot move out of position later. During this time I have all my patients wear a commercially made sports bra WITH an underwire 24/7 and ask them to limit all pec muscle activity and bouncy exercises like running. In my first 20 years of practice I didn't do this but during the last 5+ years while doing this postop regimen, I have seen no need to revise anybody for implant malposition. 

Different post operative support recommendations

Certain aspects of breast augmentation surgery are done because studies done on groups of patients demonstrate it is good practice. On these studied issues most Plastic Surgeons agree. An example of this consensus is using antibiotics and antiseptics in different ways to reduce the chance of infection. Other recommendations such as straps, bras and wraps are based on what we as individual surgeons think is best for our patients. Therefore, there is variability.