Will staying Bra less 5 weeks post BA and doing heavy lifting do any harm to the implants and the muscles?

Sorry for keep on asking the dumbest questions! I am a nurse and my job requires heavy lifting of patients. My PS said I can wear a supportive bra while I am at work, but all these time I was going bra less for my implants to drop and I was on light duty, doing desk work. Now I will be going on full duty 5 wks post op, If I wear a bra I feel that it will take longer for the implants to drop. I want them to drop faster! Will it be risky to remain bra less and doing heavy lifting ? Thank you!

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing.  Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Drop & Fluff

While wearing a proper support bra your breasts can still be expected to drop and fluff on their own, between 2-6 months post op. I recommend that you talk about restrictions specific to your job with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

No risky business

The notion of implants dropping is kind of a myth. The implants should be placed precisely where they need to be, and little to no shifting of the implants should occur postoperatively. That said, sub muscular placement of implants causes swelling in the upper chest which sometimes takes weeks to resolve. When the swelling subsides, the tissues relax a bit, the implants have "dropped". Regardless, wearing a bra might be more comfortable if you're doing heavy lifting, but you should check with your surgeon.

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - can I go braless?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • No questions are dumb - yours seems a very reasonable one.
  • Check with your plastic surgeon since s/he knows how you are doing.
  • But if you were my patient, I'd probably tell you to take your bra to work but see how going braless works out.
  • You might find your muscles ache after a while and you need the support - but you might not.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC