What are some reasons to use a shaped teardrop gummy implant as opposed to a round one? Untextured.

Just wondering when a teardrop is ideal? Reconstruction? Tuberosity? Ptosis? Is a teardrop shape better for any of these conditions? What about the profile blend from chest to implant? Does a shaped implant create a more natural look?

Shaped vs round

In general, shaped implants are more natural in overall shape than round implants. Although round implants can be very natural in shape, using a shaped implant can improve that natural shape. Additionally, the most recent study results, show a SIGNFICANT DECREASED rupture rate of the shaped implants. Of almost 1800 implants, approximately 50% of which were shaped, only ONE (1!!) ruptured in 8 years! There were a total of 43 ruptures, 7 of which were textured. Therefore, even though some will say shaped implants are just more hype than they are worth, I DO believe they are a safer implant, give a more natural result than their round counterparts, and are worth their money. If the results pan out further, having a less than 1% rupture rate in almost t 10 years, when others were accepting ~10%, would indicate to me that there is a significant indication to use them. 

Textured implants, placed thru an inframammary crease incision, and placed under the muscle showed the lowest complication rate, PERIOD. Smooth implants had almost a 3 fold increase in capsular contracture rate...that to me is exceedingly important, as it is really so easy to just change implant surface, and decrease the risk of capsular contracture alone just by that one change. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Anatomic implants

Like any new device they (anatomic implants) become very popular initially, as they are all the marketing and Internet rage, and then 3-5 years later are much less popular and find their true niche. In my opinion the majority of my cosmetic augmentation patients prefer the look and feel of round implants. A mod or mod+ profile will take on a teardrop shape while standing but will flatten and round out while laying as a natural breast would. The anatomic implants do not flatten and round out while laying. The gel is also thicker and feels firmer which many patients complain about. Ultimately, the best application is for an elderly breast cancer patient with extremely thin tissue where avoiding superior implant rippling is the biggest benefit of those implants. You will see wild variation among surgeons and there are many ways around the mountain. This has to do with each surgeons unique training, experience, patient population and number of augmentations they do annually. Best of luck. 

What are some reasons to use a shaped teardrop implant versus another?

There are variety of shapes and textured implants available.A particular plastic surgeon chooses your profile, shape, texture, composition with your particular goals/expectations in mind.This is unfortunately an answer that cannot be generalized amongst individuals.I wish you the best of luck.

Shape tear drop implant

I personally found the indications for a teardrop implants to be use in a patient is extremely rare. Most patient think that the use of teardrop implants will give you a more natural look but in reality the round implant when is soft will naturally adopt a natural tear drop shape

Teardrop shaped implants

Teardrop shaped implants need to be textured so they don't turn the wrong way once they are inserted.  They can be useful in breast reconstruction, but I don't care for them in cosmetic breast augmentation.  For those cases I prefer smooth round implants.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Gummy implant

In my opinion, I do not feel the gummy shaped implants are as good as the round smooth implants.  The gummy implant is not as soft, the "shape" can shift, and the round smooth implant is more natural.
Malcolm Lesavoy, MD

Teardrop Breast Implants

A teardrop or anatomic implant fundamentally places 2/3s of the implant volume at its lower half. This could be useful for every condition that you have mentioned. But the most common aesthetic indication is for the women who wants to avoid a breast augmentation result that looks too 'round' and wants to do everything possible to avoid what may be perceived as an unnatural or obviously augmented breast look.

Teardrop Gummy Implant Should be Determined by Your Surgeon

#ShapedTeardrop #GummybearImplants can be used for all of the reasons you mentioned. However, It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below. 

I have used numerous shaped "teardrop" implants in breast reconstruction, and found them better than round implants at holding the breast shape in clothing and photographs, especially with tighter lower poles and hollow upper poles due to the mastectomy. I have found them to be most beneficial in small to medium sized breasts. In larger breast reconstruction (>550cc to 800cc) I have gone back to textured round implants. 

While shaped implants are significantly more expensive, I have still found little indication for them in aesthetic breast augmentation, except possibly in very small augmentations in A-B cup breasts. The downsides of shaped implants in cosmetic procedures seem to outweigh the benefits: cost, firmer less natural feel, risk of rotation requiring revision after placement and shelf-like appearance of the upper breast in larger sizes. Most of the lectures at our conferences of the benefits of shaped implants are not convincing, and polls of plastic surgeons have proven it difficult to see the difference in the implants after augmentation.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Round vs Tear-drop Shaped Implants

I've tried shaped implants over the years and found few indications for them.  By nature they must be textured and come in multiple shapes and proportions.  At a recent meeting in SF a group of 200+ Bd Certified plastic surgeons attempted to select from before and after photos provided by doctors using both implant types which patients had shaped vs. round implants.  Not surprisingly (to me) the accuracy was only 52% (not very impressive at all).   Round implants have been shown to assume a tear drop shape when in a vertical position similar to shaped implants.  Since I do not perform mastectomy reconstruction I can't opine on any potential benefits (I believe that reconstruction is probably a good indication for their use) however for cosmetic procedures like breast augmentation I think they have little to offer despite their cost.  Both round and shaped implants can provide excellent results.  Much of the advertising is "hype" in my humble opinion.

Jon A. Perlman, MD