Post gastric bypass wanting a tummy tuck and liposuction. Is it possible at 5'9", 285lbs? (Photo)

I have lost 140 lbs from gastric bypass and want a tummy tuck with liposuction and sculpture of waist. I have sent photos to one doctor locally and got a response but it is hard to find MDs who will do plus size. His price was high! I have no co-morbidities and would like to have some recommendations from surgeons in Southern California, Nevada(Vegas area) and AZ border. I am open to going further for good work too.

Surgery after weight loss

I can certainly understand why you want a tummy tuck.  If you are continuing to lose weight, you should wait until your weight loss is complete.  If you can't lose any more weight you could have the tummy tuck done safely, but I would not combine it with any other procedures.

Post gastric bypass

Congratulations on the weight loss!  First off, it is important to be near your goal weight and stable for at least 6 months.  The reason for the this is not only for surgical safety but also if you continue to loose weight afterwards, you will end up with excess skin and tissue again, which will require yet another procedure for the same thing.  So the best recommendation is to be near your goal weight for at least 6 months or more.Lets say you've done everything you can and this is as much as you can loose.  You may benefit from something called a belt lipectomy - which is a basically a tummy tuck that goes all the way around the body including the back and sides.  Since you do have excess skin of the back and sides, this is probably the most powerful procedure to produce the best aesthetic result while sculpting and narrowing the waist.  A tummy tuck will address the front area and liposuction can shrink the sides and back, but will not address the excess skin of the sides and back.  With all that said, a physical examination in person is the only way to provide a proper recommendation.Best of luck and hope this information helps!- Dr. ROger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD

Candidate for a tummy tuck

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction.  This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Congratulations on your weight loss! For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after gastric bypass

Ideally one should reach their maximum weight loss before undergoing tummy tuck. It looks like you can expect more weight loss so this is not yet the ideal timeframe. Most plastic surgeons that perform body contouring plastic surgery want to see that the final weight is maintained for at least 6 months. Continue your current plan for now.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Body Contouring

You present with a body type that has to be addressed with more than one procedure.  There is still some significant fatty tissue present and further weight loss is to your advantage before proceeding with a tummy tuck.  You will have a much better outcome with a  tummy tuck once your soft tissue is thinned as much as possible.  This is achieved continued weight loss with a good diet and daily exercise but also with aggressive liposculpting of your upper and lower abdomen, flanks, love handles and lower back.  Once you achieve this, then you should proceed with a tummy tuck.  You'll also benefit from a lower body lift to address the whole lower back buttock hip region.  A consult in person is the best way to cover all this.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Surgery

Thank you for the question and while surgery could be performed your BMI is still over 40 and you would be a better candidate for surgery after further weight loss.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss: information

Dear Ms. Asiedu82, Congradulations on your weight loss!  Thank you for your photos.Unfortunately without I physical exam I can only give you some general advice which I hope you find helpful. 1) you should be at a stable weight for at least 6 months. 2)you will need a clearance letter from your medical Doctor for surgery. 3) your complete past medical record will need to be reviewed.  Please make a appointment with a Bd. Cert. Plastic Surgeon who has experience In surgery after massive weight loss.
My best,   Dr. Hardesty, FACS, Certified and a Diplomate of the American Bd. Of Plastic Surgery.

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon