How is an under the muscle breast implant removed?

I had a breast augmentation and tummy tuck 11 years ago. The implants were placed under the muscle via the tummy tuck incision. I am now considering explanation or at least a reduction and possibly a lift. My question is how will the implant be removed? Will they go in through the tummy tuck incision?

Explantation

Thank you for your question. I recommend having the implants removed through the inframammary incision (in the crease of the breast).  This incision heals well and will be tucked into the breast fold.  Seek appointments with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who perform a lot of explantation surgeries. Best of luck to you

Thank you for your question.  In most cases, it is best to remove the implant and capsule through an incision in the breast crease.   I would not remove your implant through any abdominal incision.  The breast crease scar is well hidden and that may be where you need an incision for your breast lift.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Since you may need a lift or need to remove and replace your implants, and incision on the breast is a much easier and better way to remove your implants and perform breast surgery.  I would not remove your implants through the tummy tuck incision.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

How a breast implant is removed

If your scar is off breast (axilla, abdomen, TUBA) you should get them removed via an inframammary crease incision. Make sure (!!!!) the doctor fixes the pec major muscle in the surgery... we see a lot of unfixed pecs from explants with pec motion deformities that we have to go back in AGAIN. 

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Implant Removal Scars

I would certainly recommend using an inframammary fold (the bottom crease of the breast) incision. This provides the best access to remove both the implant and any capsule that may need to also be excised. You may also be able to use the same removal scar as part of any breast lift incision minimizing the need for "extra" scars. Good luck. Aloha.

Dr C

Breast incision for lift or removal and replacement

Thank you for your question. Since you may need a lift or need to remove and replace your implants, and incision on the breast is a much easier and better way to remove your implants and perform breast surgery. There's no reason to use your tummy tuck incision again because  this surgery is just limited to your breasts. Best of luck with everything.

Explantation

The safest approach for removal of implant would be through the inframammary fold. A tummy tuck incision would not be used again. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most cases of an implant removal an incision is placed into the breast crease.  Going through your original tummy tuck incision would not be advised as the amount of surgery required does not justify the benefits a a saved scar.  Hope this helps.

No, the breast implants would not be removed through the tummy tuck incision. There are variety of options, most commonly inframammary (under the breast fold) or infra areolar area approach, for breast implant removal. In my practice, I use the infra mammary approach for most patients. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns helpful to you as you consider options. Best wishes.