Please help liposuction with fat transfer very discouraged. (photos)

Had liposuction with fat transfer. Bottom photo was in May one month pre op. Top picture was today 3 months pre op. I have lost 5 pounds since surgery yet I appear to be much heavier in my recent photo. Went to my surgeon he is mind boggled. I haven't gained weight I live a healthy lifestyle workout yet my progress is changing for the worst. What could be causing this. Dr gave me diuretics to try to see if it makes s difference but he has no explanation for me

Please help liposuction with fat transfer very discouraged.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

you are swollen and need diuretics, vanquish and cellutone treatments and more of hi intensity exercise.  I suggest waiting 12 months to see the outcome otherwise getting a hi definition procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Discouraged after liposuction with fat transfer

I am sorry to hear you are discouraged with your procedure.  To be honest, it will be difficult to give you a good answer based on the info and photos you have given.  When it comes to liposuction, fat transfer, photos, and weight, there are so many factors involved, that more details would be needed.  The best way to give you an answer would be a consultation with a good exam.  But let's work with what you have shown.You provided post-operative photos, but no pre-operative photos.  Unfortunately it is difficult to judge the result because the photos you have shown are not consistent.  Different angles, lighting, and body position are present in these photos and no other views were shown, like a side view.  However, changes from 1 month post-op to 3 months post-op is probably due to loss of edema and also loss of some of the volume from the fat transfer.  Both of which will change the way you look as time progresses and might explain some of your weight loss.When it comes to your weight loss, it's hard to judge what that means since I do not know if your initial weight was pre-surgery weight or your weight, right after your surgery.  If you lost 5 pounds from your weight right after your surgery, then that was probably mostly water weight.  If you lost 5 pounds from your weight before the surgery, then something else is going on.  For instance, maybe you have lost muscle weight?  I do not want to second guess your surgeon, but I do not see how diuretics will help with your body contour.  You should ask him or her what the rational for that was.  Overall, as I said before, I doubt you will get a good answer, here online, as to what is going on.  I recommend continuing to work with your surgeon who I'm sure wants you to be happy.  However, if you want a second opinion, it would be best to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who does body contouring where all the details of your case can be examined better.  I hope things get better for you.  Dr. Bastidas

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with fat transfer - look heavier at 3 months

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and fat transfer.
  • I assume there is an error in your posting and that both photos were taken after surgery.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • One would expect your swelling to lessen between 1 and 3 months after surgery.
  • It suggests there is another factor - 
  • If you were my patient, I would want your PCP to evaluate you for low thyroid and other hormonal disorder as a possible underlying cause.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD