Juvederm injection day 2. Is this normal? (Photo)

I am on day 2 of juvederm and freaking out because my lips are huge please tell me the will go down lot and not be this big.

Juvederm

Yes, Swelling after Juvederm injections in the lips is very common and can take up to two weeks to fully resolve. 

Orange County Dermatologist

Lip Swelling Following Juvederm Injections

Lip swelling can persist for several weeks because it is a very vascular  space and any injections in this area can lead to swelling. I perform the injections with a cannula which does limit the extent of swelling and most people are back to normal after a few days. Juvederm is also more hydrophilic or water loving than restylane and may attract more water. Frequent icing for the first 24 hours is key to limit the swelling. But rest assured it does settle down and most people end up wanting more. If you are still unhappy, follow up with your provider to have it removed with Hylenex or Vitrase. But I feel you should be fine in 1 to 2 weeks. Be patient.

All the best
Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm and Lips and Swelling

It can take two weeks for the swelling to resolve from Juvederm.  If you are unhappy with the results after that time please consult an expert to dissolve.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It takes 2-3 weeks to see the outcome of fillers especially Juvederm that swells significantly. Please see an expert if you are unhappy. Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm for lips

There can be swelling and bruising for several days after Juvederm injections for lips.  Wait two weeks and if you are still not happy with your Juvederm result, please return to your doctor for assessment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm and swelling

It is very common to have swelling after filler injection in the lips.  I always tell my patients to wait 2 weeks and then we will evaluate the results.  Ice packs can help.  Also, let your injector know about the swelling.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Juvederm lip swelling

Dear Alexaguirre,

Thank you for your question. I would wait 2 weeks after the injection to see the final result. Swelling should mostly be down by then. You can always make a follow up with the physician who injected you now.

Hope this helps.

Dr. R

Morgan Rabach, MD

Juvederm for lip augmentation

Thank you for your question!  It is too early to tell what the final results will be for your lips.  The lips tend to swell and bruise quite a bit after Juvederm injections, so it is normal to have swelling for up to 3 weeks after a treatment. At day two I would still expect that you would have a significant amount of swelling. I would give this swelling some time to subside, and then follow up with your physician injector if you have any concerns should the result not be exactly what you were hoping for. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Swelling in the Lips

Dear alexaguirre, It does not appear from your original photograph that you had to much filler in the lip and that the increase in lip size is probably directly related to swelling. Your surgeon will know best how much Juvederm was injected and what your proposed results should be. See your injecting physician for a follow up appointment and discuss options to help your swelling dissipate. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD