How can I tell if my implant pocket is too large? (photos)

I am just shy of 3 wks post op. My right breast has been experiencing more pain than the left. And it's more lateral and towards the rib cage. The pain is better, but it still aches and is sensitive to touch. I'm concerned the implant is sitting/sliding too far off. Maybe the pocket is too big? I am concerned with the asymmetry as well. My PS said the asymmetry is too soon to assess because the implants need more time to settle. Should I be concerned? Are there S/S for shifting implants?

Implant asymmetry 3 weeks postop

You definitely have some asymmetry after surgery but your PS will be guiding you on how to adjust things to get you the best symmetry possible. Be sure to followup often in the office.Best wishes,Dr K

How can I tell if my implant pocket is too large?

I agree with you doc. Too soon to really tell. Everyone is asymmetric to a degree. Nobody is perfectly symmetric. You need about 3 months for the implants to settle and the skin to stretch. That is not to say you may still be unhappy at three months, but more likely you will be very happy as things change over several months. It is very hard to tell right now if the pocket is too big. Only your surgeon will know because they made the pocket. Can't really tell on exam if it's too wide.

Richard J. Brown, MD

3 Weeks Post Op

Your Implant volume is sitting high and tight at the moment which is expected for 3 weeks post op. Slight asymmetry while healing is also normal. I would agree that you need to wait at least a few months to see your implnats settling and softening.

All the best

Post Breast Augmentation

Hi and thank you for your question and photos! You are still in a very early stage of your recovery. It is normal for the breast implants to sit high at first, they will settle with time and proper post operative care. Some physicians use a breast strap to help keep the implants in proper position. Consult your surgeon about this and see if he/she feels it is a good idea. Pain and discomfort in one breast more than the other is normal after a breast augmentation. One side may heal or feel differently than the other. The body is asymmetrical in general and will not heel symmetrically. Perfect symmetry 3 weeks post op is unrealistic and you need to do what your Plastic Surgeon advised, and wait for the breast to settle more. Nothing looks of concern but remember to voice your concerns with your surgeon at your appointments so he/she can assess them and reassure you everything is healing properly. Best of luck to you!

Peter H. Grossman, MD, FACS

Implant pocket too large?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is very common for one breast to be more sensitive than the other during the post operative period.  I recommend that you continue to follow post op instructions and to not consider a final result until you reach the 4-6 month period.  I wish you good luck.

Please relax and give herself a chance to heal.  It is Farfar too early to be concerned about asymmetries.  Your result looks very good.  It can take 8-12 weeks for implant position to finalize. An examination by your plastic surgeon is the best person to answer your questions.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.
Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
 Generally speaking, if a breast implant pocket is too large, the breast implant on the involved side will move into an undesired position; this can present  as "bottoming out", "lateral displacement", or medial displacement ("symmastia").   
Again, best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Implant pocket

Thank you for your question and for the photos.
You are still at a very early stage in your recovery. It is normal to experience pains in one breast and not the other. from your pictures everything looks as it should.
Remember to take any post surgery advice that your plastic surgeon has given you. If you are at all worried about anything do contact your plastic surgeon.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon