I am African American and I need to find a dermatologist for laser hair removal?

I hear there is a certain laser that has to be used for my dark skin tone. What laser should be used? What questions should I ask when scheduling an appointment? Any suggestions on a good dermatologist in the Orange County or riverside county in California?

Laser Hair Removal on Dark Skin

Dark skin such as yours needs to be treat with a 1064 Yag laser. To determine the safest levels for you test spots need to be done. After two weeks the test spots need to be re-evaluated. Then the treatments can proceed from there. Make sure you see an expert.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Dark skin needing LHR

This is the toughest skin to treat. You need to be treated with a 1064 YAG laser. Test spots need to be done at different levels to determine the safest levels for you. The results need to be re-evaluated at the 2 week mark. At that point proceeding with the correct settings. Treatments should be about 6 weeks apart. I will be a slow process but it does work. Let the provider know if there is any blistering or prolonged redness after treatments.

Steven F. Weiner, MD