Please explain what vaginal rejuvenation and tightening by URO-GYN with bladder lift is?

i need to know if uro-gyn is the surgery for me so i would like to know more about it before i see a doctor. i dont want to get a mesh net. and is there any doctors that preform such surgery in riverside/ontario california area.

Doctor Answers 9

Vaginal Rejuvenation

Vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal tightening are procedures that improve the tone of the vaginia. This is different from a reconstructive procedure that involves fixing a prolapsed bladder or rectum. The former does not involve mesh the later occasionally does. A urogyn that has experience in vaginal rejuvenation would be the one to do this. You need to make sure that they have experience in vaginal rejuvenation because this is a different procedure vs a prolapse procedure. 

Jackson Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Urogynecologist with training in Aesthetic Surgery

Some women experience changes following pregnancy including urinary incontinence and prolapse while others experience changes in appearance or sexual function. In many cases, however, all of these issues can result requiring the experience of a fellowship trained urogynecologist with specialized training in both Reconstructive Surgery and Aesthetic Intimate Surgery. There are only a few Urogyns around the country with this combination of skills. Laguna Beach, San Jose, Denver, Richmond, and Atlanta. There may be a few others that i have not mentioned but would require some resesrch. Any of these locations will provide comprehensive care for your personal and intimate needs.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

#VaginalRejuventation, #ThermiVa, #MonoLisaTouch

#VaginalRejuventation, #ThermiVa, #MonoLisaTouch
Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or #Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulvas and vaginal area. For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area. This can lead to unsatisfying intimate contact and discomfort.
These surgeries are best performed by carefully selected Plastic Surgeons or Gynecologists. As this is not a very common procedure it is important that you choose a specialist who has significant experience in these procedures, such as Dr. Nichter or Dr. Horowitz at the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery to get the best result with the least number of complications.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Confusion over vaginal rejuvenation, uro-gyn and mesh

Best advice for you: What is the problem you're having? If it's urinary incontinence (leaking urine), get checked by your gynecologist. Don't assume that mesh is the only treatment or even the appropriate treatment for all women with incontinence.

As for other stuff: Uro-gyn is not a procedure, it is the nickname for urogynecology - a subspecialty of gynecology that focuses on the management of urinary incontinence and other pelvic floor issues. Vaginal rejuvenation is not a treatment for urinary incontinence, it's synonymous with vaginoplasty - a surgical tightening of the vaginal canal for women who feel loose in the vagina usually after childbirth.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Need an exam

In order to tailor the right procedure for you we will need to determine the degree of your bladder prolapse and also the severity of the symptoms associated with it. A mesh is not necessarily the answer. Laxity can be relieved with some strategically placed stitches. If the prolapse is minor, you will be a great candidate for the ThermiVA procedure. It involves 3 treatments spread a month apart. Procedures take 30 minutes and there is no down time.

Urogynecology specialist vs vaginal rejuvenation

Thank you for your question. Urogynecologist specialize in medical and surgical treatment of women with urinary incontinence, vaginal wall prolapse, and bladder pain ingest other issues. As such, a UROGYN would be who I recommend you see if you have these issues and or splint to have a vowel movement. If your concern is more related to appearance, lack of sensation during sex or other issues with intimacy, I recommend seeking out a doctor who performs vaginal rejuvenation which will tighten the vagina and can change its appearance. I hope this answer is useful to you. Best wishes 
~Dr. Poucher

What is the difference between vaginal rejuvenation and tightening with a bladder lift by an Urogyn?

Dear Autismmom,

Women who seek vaginal rejuvenation surgeries and treatment by an urogynecologists usually have symptoms related to damage from childbirth including bladder leakage, bowel function problems (constipation, hemorrhoids, having to manually assist with pressure either inside or outside the vagina, shifting or pressing abdomen to help go), problems with tampons staying in and sexual function problems including decreased sensation for one or both partners, gas-like noises with intercourse and partner fall-out due to weak muscles at the vaginal opening.  Feeling too loose or wide, or too smooth are also concerns women seek treatment for.

There are the traditional pelvic reconstruction techniques done by the urogyns that will address the bladder and sometimes the bowel function problems, but most of the time insurance doesn't allow repair for sexual function problems.

The seven vaginal rejuvenation procedures available in the literature address the sexual function problems as well as those of bowel function.  There are 2 procedures to address the smooth vagina, which is either due to excess vaginal secretions or loss of vaginal ridges called rugae:  the Partial Cervical Gland Ablation reduces the number of cervical glands and therefore reduces the vaginal secretions, and the Vaginal Rugation Restoration or Rejuvenation procedure (VRR) re-creates the vaginal ridges with a laser.

The other five address the sensation of being too wide or loose, as well as bowel function, air and tampons falling out.  The damage to the vagina can be to any of the four sides and the top where the cervix is, as well as at the opening and at the perineum.  Site-specific defect repairs (SSDRs) are done to treat the individual areas that are damaged and include fascial closure which adds an extra support layer.  These surgeries re-support the walls and restore normal anatomy and function.

I hope this information is helpful. 


Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

"Vaginal Rejuvenation" and UroGyn work

Your best bet in your area is Dr. Red Alinsod in Laguna Beach.  He is expensive, but is the best in the area and will individualize your treatment. I'm sure there are other surgeons as well.  If your issue is vaginal laxity and involuntary loss of urine, and you wish a combination incontinence and vaginal tightening operation, your best bet is to seek a gynecologist or urogynecologist who is interested also in cosmetic work & can prove to you that he/she is trained and skilled in specifically plastic/cosmetic work as well as intra-vaginal pelvic floor expertise.

If you wish to give us more detailed info regarding your symptoms, and send a couple good quality in-focus photos, we can give you more detailed advice.

Very best,

Michael P Goodman MD


Tough question to answer without an exam. I am sure you can find a board certified UroGyn in the Inland empire. Check near Loma Linda. The biggest name in UroGyn is Dr Mickey Karram, while he is based out of the University of Cincinnatti, he does come out to Beverly Hills once a month to see patients. Google him

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.