Is my breastfed baby at risk the entire 3 months that the Botox is supposed to last? What symptoms do I look for in him?

I am a first time mom and my son is 8 months old. Today I stupidly made a spontaneous decision to get Botox on my forehead (24 units to be exact). The PA that administered it saw that I had baby and said nothing. I am beating myself up about this and I am terrified to feed my son, who is mostly breastfed. I waited 4 hours before I fed him, but this guilty feeling is eating me up inside. I'm so worried about him and I am never doing this again!

Botox and breastfeeding

I'm sorry to hear this. The PA should have asked if you were breastfeeding. Probably the only thing you can do at this point is "pump and dump" the breast milk.

Botox and Breastfeeding

I suggest you see an expert, typically botox shouldn't affect pregnancy or breastfeeding but no studies have been done.  I tell women to avoid cosmetic treatments in pregnancy.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and Breastfeeding

Thank you for your question.  There really aren't any studies looking at Botox and breastmilk so it is unknown but as it is not absorbed into the bloodstream,your baby is unlikely to be at risk but one suggestion would be to pump and dump after the Botox treatment.

Sejal Shah, MD

Botox and breastfeeding

The safety of botox has not been established for pregnant and breastfeeding women.  It is not known if it transfers through breast milk.  It is best to wait until after pregnancy and breastfeeding to continue your botox treatments.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox while breastfeeding

Thank you for your question. No true recommendations can be made as we simply do not know whether or not Botox is safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding. I am not aware of any investigations that looked into that. Who would sign up for such a study? Although it is unlikely that you place your baby at risk as we believe Botox likely does not get absorbed systemically, I would err on the side of caution. You should hence not breastfeed for the next 3 months until the Botox has worn off - just to be safe.

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Botox is NOT absorbed and is not measurable in your system. No worries about breast feeding, nursing, etc. Carry-on as normal and your baby will NOT be affected in any way from he Botox you have had in your lines on your face. Your PA-injecotr did nothing wrong. Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and Botox

Dear Jnotaran,

I am sorry to hear you are in this situation. Botox in pregnancy is contraindicated and is considered the same with breastfeeding. It is classified as "Category C" which means its safety for use in pregnancy/breastfeeding has not been established thus no conclusions regarding safety or toxicity can be made. There are cases known of women who were inadvertently injected with Botox during pregnancy and no untoward complications with delivery or teratogenicity in the child attributed to Botulinum Toxin (Botox) being reported. This however does not establish safety. I would recommend you visit with your Ob/Gyn regarding your situation for advice as to your best course of action. In my opinion stopping breastfeeding at this time would be prudent to not take any unnecessary chances.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox and breast fed babies

Botox is no longer in your system even though its benefits remain. you do not need to be concerned at all about your baby

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox while breast feeding

Thank you for your question jnotaran. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. The safety and efficacy of Botox have not been tested in women who are pregnant or breast feeding, so unfortunately we do not know the answer to your questions. I recommend that my patients discontinue Botox treatments 3 months prior to trying to get pregnant and re-start after breast feeding is completed. If I had a patient who received Botox and is still breast feeding I would recommend discontinuing breast feeding. While there are pros and cons of breast feeding versus using formula, I err on the side of safety since the safety and efficacy of Botox while breast feeding is not known. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox and Breastfeeding

Thanks for your question. The number of units of Botox used for cosmetic purposes (facial esthetics) is very small. It is really too little, even if injected into a main vein for example, to have a noticeable effect elsewhere in the body except in the rare instance of some sort of idiosyncratic reaction, which would have happened already. Within a few hours (some say even within 1 hour) the toxin is already bound to receptors. It is not possible for this to now affect your baby so take a deep breath and relax. The reason we say "No Botox" in pregnant or breastfeeding mothers is PRIMARILY because breastfeeding and pregnant mothers were not in the studies that were done to get the drug approved by the FDA. So, it's a medicolegal thing more than anything else. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician