After removal of the lipomas, what will the skin look like?

After Removal of Lipomas, what will the skin look like?

In my experience, the skin looks normal. I have not seen any indentations, even with very large lipomas, like 8-10 cm. Other than a small scar, about 1/4 to 3/8" log, the skin should look normal.  I know that family doctors, derms and general surgeons tend to favor large scars and don't want to do many lipomas at once, but with care, they can be removed through very small incisions.  Even when large, they can be reduced with power-assisted liposuction and removed through an incision of about 1/2 to 3/4".  And I have removed 80 at a time, but I prefer not to remove more than 40 at a time.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

#Lipoma - what will the skin look like?

Good question.  Fortunately, in most cases the skin contracts down well on its own and is not a concern.  In the case of a very large lipoma and/or one that has been there for a long time, the skin may be stretched out and/or have enough loss of subcutaneous fat (from long-time compression) that there may be an indentation at the excision site.  Even in this case, the tissue usually fills in pretty well over time so that it's not that noticeable - certainly when compared with what the fullness looked like before the surgery.You should of course see a board-certified plastic surgeon for a full and complete discussion.
I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Thank you for your question.  In most cases of a small lipoma the skin will retract and look similar to the rest of the surrounding skin, but if the lipoma is large it may leave an indentation as a contour irregularity.  Hope this helps.