I had Restylane injections in my lips and now have a permanent defect? What can I do to get my lips back to normal? (photos)

I had the injections of Restylane done over a year ago and still have a lump on my right top lip. It makes my smile look uneven. I have had hyaluronidase injected into it around 6 months ago, with no noticible effect. Perhaps the lump is a little smaller now. What can I do to get my lips back to normal? I know that sometimes the defect can be present pre-injection, but as you can see in the photos, my lips were perfectly normal before injections. I included one of 1 month post.

Uneven lips after Filler

Lip lumps can be caused by several things;

Residual hyaluronic acid(Restylane)- more hyaluronidase may help

Nodule- tissue reaction to the product- a steroid injection usually helps

Blocked minor salivary gland- a combination of hyaluronidase and steroid may relieve any blockage.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy After Restylane

It may still be filler. It can sometimes take a series of Hyaluronidase to dissolve all the filler. I recommend following up with your injector. Best, Dr. Emer

The Hyaluronidase has not been enough

I believe this is some Restylane remaining. Please, have you doctor to use more Hyaluranidase to dissolve more of the product. 

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after filler

It is unlikely that this is a pocket of Restylane but could be that the Restylane made a cyst form in the area of injection. It can easily be removed but be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist