risk factors of mommy makeover

I am scheduled for an abdominoplasty to repair my diastasis and a tiny bit of loose skin and also a breast augmentation on June 3, 2014. I really never thought that much about having a BA until I found out I HAD to have my abdomen repaired. I am wanting to know if there is much more risk involved in doing both of those together rather than separate or just doing the belly? I'm really just pretty terrified. Thank you so much

Risks of Having Mommy Makeover Surgery

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. 

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Rising risk of longer surgery

Thank you for your mommy make-over question.
  • Risks of surgery do start to rise after 45 minutes,
  • Your tummy tuck sounds limited in what needs to be done
  • The breast augmentation will add only slightly to the operative time and the risk,
  • If you are too scared to have both procedures at once, then  split them up -
  • But most women are happy to do them both together and that is what I myself would do, if that helps!
  • Everyone is anxious about surgery - those like you who worry before surgery do better than those who second guess their decisions afterwards. Have confidence in yourself. You will make the right decision.

Risk factors of mommy makeover

The addition of the breast augmentation only adds 30 minutes to the surgery and can be combined safely with other procedures.

Risk factors of mommy makeover

Breast augmentation combined with abdominoplasty (mommy makeover) is a common procedure in most plastic surgery practices. I routinely perform the combination surgery in my Raleigh practice.  The risks include bleeding, infection, adverse drug reaction, asymmetry, seroma, change in nipple sensation and skin sensation and anesthetic risks. Your plastic surgeon should review all risks with you prior to the procedure and have you sign a consent stating all of the risks involved in your procedure.

Mommy Makeover and what it includes

You can have all the procedures done together and that is fairly routine but not mandatory.  Do what you are comfortable with.  Follow you gut feeling.  Of course the more surgery the more risk.  Infection, bleeding, asymmetry, pain, swelling, etc is more with more surgery.   You will be fine doing all at once and risks are really very low either way.   So go with what you are comfortable with.  I have patients that do staggered plans and some do all at once.  Both work just fine.   My Best,  Dr C

Generally it is better to have all procedures a mommy makeover done together rather than staggered.

In general it is not safer to stagger several mommy makeover operations as opposed to doing in one sitting. Obviously, your individual circumstances would need to be taken into consideration.

Complications with Mommy Makeover

Performing breast augmentation and a tummy tuck is a typical procedure. You're healthy and they're very little risk. Typical risk including infection, bleeding, fluid collections, and wound healing problems. Your plastic surgeon will guide you and take care of you doing this process to minimize and or eliminate complications. Your plastic surgeon has obviously decided that you're a good candidate inappropriate for these procedures and that benefits out weigh the risks.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS

Risk factors of mommy makeover

Thank you for the question.  The types of concerns/anxiety that you are experiencing are very commonly  experienced by patients prior to undergoing surgery.  Assuming you are in good health and have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it is most likely that you will do well with the planned procedure.  Generally speaking, whether the combination surgery is indicated and/or safe should be evaluated on an individualized basis.  Factors such health status, physical examination,  goals,  selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, surgery facility are all important  considerations.  Given your concerns/anxiety, it is probable that you will benefit from additional time spent with your plastic surgeon discussing these concerns.