Can Rippling Go Away?

I had my implants fix from a capillary contraction. During this time they put the implant under the muscle and also did a lift. I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds at the moment usually am 130. It's two weeks after surgery and I already have a ripple on my clevage with an invention. I'm freaking out. M y doctor says hopefully my implant will settle and fix this problem. Also my right implant is still but by my collar bone. I'm very frustrated. Is what he says true? It could fix itself?

Rippling of Breast Implants

As a general rule, rippling is not a phenomenon that improves with time. In some patients it may actually get worse. If after three to six months it is still bothersome there are the options of switching to silicone implants (if you have saline) and/or the placement of either dermal grafts or fat injections. The highly positioned implant, however, may improve with time and massage. It is only two weeks from surgery so there is ample time for the implant to move further downward.

Can Rippling Go Away?

Without the benefit of seeing your pictures, it is hard to give too specific of an answer.  However, there is a possibility of improvement in your breasts as the implants settle.  This can take several weeks or longer to complete, and will be quicker if your surgeon has shown you how to actively massage the implants downward.  Best Wishes!

Brian Howard, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Rippling with breast implants

Thank you for your question. Rippling can be seen when the surface of an implant shadows through the tissue, often found where the breast tissue coverage is thin. Some implant styles are more prone such as an overfilled saline implant. Others are less prone such as a shaped silicone implant. So one approach is to change an implant to one that is less prone to rippling. Another approach would be to add some thickness to the breast tissue. This can be done by fat grafting where fat is carefully layered between the skin and the implant. Another is to add a dermal matrix sheet between the breast and the implant where the rippling is visible to blunt the impression of the implant on the overlying skin. If you notice the rippling soon after surgery, I often recommend waiting until around the six month mark as your breasts may continue to change during that recovery period. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Rippling

The answer is maybe, if you have adequate coverage and the implant is actually under the muscle you may get away with it if not you may want to look into some fat grafting to cover the implant and improve the rippling

Rippling after breast augmentation

If it is only two weeks after your breast augmentation revision, I doubt that it is true rippling.  It may just be that there is a tight band of tissue that will stretch out with time and with the aide of appropriate breast massage techniques.  Ask your PS to show you these massage exercises.  If after a few months you do indeed have rippling, then the two treatments that could help would be replacing the saline implants for gel implants and/or fat grafting.  Rippling after a submuscular augmentation is usually seen in thin, small breasted patients and is usually on the outside of the breast and not along the "cleavage."  

Laurence Weider, MD

Fix Rippling After Breast Augmentation

Unfortunately, rippling does not usually resolve with time. Placing the implant underneath the muscle is a good way to prevent rippling, but since you have already had this done, the next best option would be fat grafting to the breast. Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon about this and other options for fixing this complication.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Rippling early post-op

Usually rippling gets worse with time, but without an evaluation it is hard to comment about your given situation.  Follow closely with your doctor.  Sometimes alloderm/strattice can camouflage the rippling.

Rippling may settle but is treatable with lipofilling

Dear Sophia,

I understand you are very upset with this rippling. Secondary surgery after a capsular contracture is always difficult and not always predictable. Textured implants do give slightly more rippling as they are designed to adhere to the surrounding tissues.

Having said that, if after a healing period of let's say 6 weeks there is no visible improvement, I would cover the rippled area with fat grafts (lipofilling) which in experienced hands can smooth out the contour of your breast and make the rippling invisible or at least less noticeable. 

I am confident that there are plastic surgeons in your area who are familiar with this technique.

Good luck

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

A photo of the rippling would be very helpful to advise you.  By your description, the indentation may be a fold in the implant shell or rippling.  If you have textured implants, rippling is slightly more common than in smooth shell implants.  Both could develop a fold that may be noticable if the muscle was released too much towards the middle.  Ultimately, time will tell...you are too early to worry about these issues as often these will resolve as your body heals more.   Wait several more months.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon