Normal for breast to become numb again three weeks after breast augmentation?

I had a sub muscular breast augmentation extactly three weeks ago. I went from a 34A to now a 34D, implants are 400cc each. A few days ago I noticed my right breast is more swollen than my left but not alot, and it's more numb than it was last week. No hardening though when my arm brushes against it it feels like there's a mass, until I massage it away. No pain. Incisions are in my folds and they feel fine. Is this normal? And how long until it goes away?

Numbness after BA

Congratulations on your recent surgery. There are many factors that can contribute to numbness- chief among them swelling and large implants (greater than 300cc). Given the symptoms you are describing it is likely that your swelling increased enough to make you more numb (more than likely you started feeling better and were more active with your arms than you have been). Though this sounds like normal healing to me best to check in with your PS and allow him or her to examine you and give specific recommendations. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

See your doctor

You should schedule an appointment to see your surgeon, however, it is most likely normal, you are still brand new. It is always better to let your doctor take a look and make sure everything is healing well! Best wishes!

Swelling

You may have used your arms more over the past few days and now have little more swelling. Please let your surgeon check you to make sure everything is healing well. You are still very early in your healing phase and still have swelling. Sometimes as swelling increases, so does numbness.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  During the early healing after breast augmentation many things are occurring.  The skin and surrounding tissues are getting used to the implants.  There is swelling and this can contribute to numbness.  It is similar to when you cross your legs and the pressure of one leg against the other causes the foot to fall asleep.  In breast augmentation the swelling can cause the nerves to fall asleep and this contributes to numbness.  As the swelling resolves the numbness should also get better.  Keep your follow up with your surgeon and bring this to their attention if not better.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

These symptoms happen...

thanks for your question. Most likely your breast implant is beginning to stretch your breast into the bigger cup you've desired. The nerves are also being stretched and when this happens they will not function right. In time, when they're done stretching nerve function may return to normal. Speak with your PS in the future and an exam if you're still worried. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD