Massages after hip and back Lipo, do they reduce swelling faster?

I am 2 weeks out of surgery Having hip and back lipo done I am still very sore and swollen. Do the lymphatic massages reduce the swelling faster ? Is their anything else I can do to reduce the swelling ?

Liposuction - will massage speed healing

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The truth is, we don't really know.
  • We know that swelling occurs after all liposuction and is very troublesome.
  • We know it subsides on its own over 6 - 9 months, sometimes longer.
  • Many patients (and some surgeons) believe massage reduces the swelling.
  • It may do so - but we have no data to prove it.
  • I tell my patients who are very swollen to have deep tissue massage however - it is painful but light, lymphastic massage is soothing but unlikely, in my patients' experience, to make much difference.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Massages after liposuction

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your treatment! It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam. However, I can assure you that it's not uncommon to experience some swelling and discomfort following liposuction.  Given the fact that your procedure was done only a couple of weeks ago, I would recommend giving it some time before you can see the desired final results.  Massaging lumpy areas that have been liposuctions may help soften the tissue, stimulate circulation, and eliminate excess fluid.  Most doctors recommend massaging twice a day for approximately 5 minutes. Typically, repeating the massage for 5-6 weeks is sufficient.  

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... yes! always drainage lymphatic massages help to reduce swelling and also measurements along with the procedure by itself.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

The Stop Swelling Solution

Yes, I always recommend lymphatic massage in addition to RF treatments (Venus Legacy, Exilis, Ultra, Vanquish) along with shock/vibration therapy Cellutone/z wave and hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results. Best, Dr. Emer

Massage and swelling

Some surgeons recommend massage and others do not. I do not routinely recommend professional massage.  Best to ask your surgeon.