Massages after hip and back Lipo, do they reduce swelling faster?

I am 2 weeks out of surgery Having hip and back lipo done I am still very sore and swollen. Do the lymphatic massages reduce the swelling faster ? Is their anything else I can do to reduce the swelling ?

Liposuction - will massage speed healing

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The truth is, we don't really know.
  • We know that swelling occurs after all liposuction and is very troublesome.
  • We know it subsides on its own over 6 - 9 months, sometimes longer.
  • Many patients (and some surgeons) believe massage reduces the swelling.
  • It may do so - but we have no data to prove it.
  • I tell my patients who are very swollen to have deep tissue massage however - it is painful but light, lymphastic massage is soothing but unlikely, in my patients' experience, to make much difference.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... yes! always drainage lymphatic massages help to reduce swelling and also measurements along with the procedure by itself.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

The Stop Swelling Solution

Yes, I always recommend lymphatic massage in addition to RF treatments (Venus Legacy, Exilis, Ultra, Vanquish) along with shock/vibration therapy Cellutone/z wave and hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results. Best, Dr. Emer

Massage and swelling

Some surgeons recommend massage and others do not. I do not routinely recommend professional massage.  Best to ask your surgeon.