Is using sclerosant for seroma appropriate?

I am 9 weeks po, developed seroma , tried 10 aspirations, reopened wound, took out bursa, placed a drain, after 8 days removed drain, and now aspirating about 10 ccs a day. Surgeon wants to use sclerosant to stop seroma and another bursa.

Sclerosant

Sorry to hear that you have had such a problematic seroma. Your PS has done everything to help treat this for you and I would take your PS advise. Sclerosant can be used and there are many types and difficult to comment without knowing what exactly is being used. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sclerosant

Sorry to hear about your seroma. It sounds to me like your surgeon has treated it quite effectively. I personally never used a sclerosing agent in an abdomen but it sounds like you had everything else tried. Good luck with your recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Seroma

I have used tetracycline and betadine as a sclerosant on a few cases and it seemed to work well.  You have had good care.  Seems all appropriate and adding a sclerosant really is minimal risk.  Good luck.

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Persistent seroma after tummy tuck

Seroma is the most common undesired effect of a tummy tuck. You have had all of the appropriate measures to eradicate it. Ten cc per day is a small amount and providing that you are demonstrating a gradually lower trend, then you are currently on the right track.
A sclerosant is generally a benign way of managing the seroma IF it does not have progressively lower amounts of drainage. Keep in good communication with your surgeon who probably possesses sufficient experience to see this through completion. Good luck.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Is using sclerosant for seroma appropriate

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues.  I have never used sclerosant for a tummy tuck seroma but try to minimize the risk of formation through the use of drains, quilting sutures, aspirations, pseudo capsule removal, wound packing and compression garments.  Hope this helps.

Sclerosants for seroma

Persistent serums after surgery can be troublesome.  Aspiration is generally attempted first with compression.  If this fails, then surgical drainage with removal of the bursa and quilting sutures is generally done with drain placement.  If this fails, you may want to consider observation.  I have seen these disappear on their own over time in these situations.  I have never used sclerosant and am not aware of any data that shows it helps.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sclerosant for seroma

Dear Rebecca:
You appeared to have tried many different methods for seroma. I have never had to use a sclerosant before.The important factors to reduce occurrance of seroma are:
1. reduce dead space by quilting sutures under the flap
2. suction drains
3. compression garment
4. minimize over-activity (bending, twisting, etc)
Make sure you have considered the suggestions above.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon