How to get rid of or reduce very large under eye circles? (Photo)

I have very large, dark, under eye circles. It looks like I have 2 black eyes! I have tried a range of over the counter products and ordered ones online that are meant to be the absolute best for them, nothing has worked. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get, what I eat or drink, they don't budge! Have tried all the at home remedies as well, like cold soon or cucumber. Is there anything that could help me? I am sick of wearing concealer all the time.

Doctor Answers 4

How to get rid of or reduce very large under eye circles?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It would be best if you saw a physician in person, however, your photos do look like you would benefit from fillers.  See an experienced eyelid injector.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Subconjunctival Lower Eyelid Surgery for Dark Circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my opinion, subconjunctival (inside the eyelid) lower blepharoplasty, arcus marginalis release and fat redistribution would give the best outcome in terms of longevity, aesthetics, predictability and consistency. However, this procedure requires a highly skilled, experienced surgeon. The treatment with fillers or fat injections may perhaps be considered more simple but their outcomes are not as consistent.

Eric In Choe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Reducing dark circles under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. The dark circles are caused by a groove between your eyelid fat and cheek fat (nasojugal grooves). As you are very young the best way to improve these is using a dermal filler injected to fill up the groove. These are very safe, but are only temporary, lasting 4-6 months. You should always have something temporary first to see whether you like the effect. If you like the effect then there are longer lasting fillers, which can last up to 18 months or so. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Your dark circles could be improved with some filler.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have very little fat in this area, called the tear trough. This lack of volume makes the area look dark and hollow.  If you put some filler in here, such as restylane or belotero, much of the dark shadow will be improved and the area will look less hollow.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.