Can I get rid of my square/chubby face with botox in my masseter or is it due to my mandible shape?

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Square Jaws Due To Masseter Muscle Hypertrophy Can Respond Well To Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin)

An in-the-flesh examination is the only real way for determining the best treatment. If indeed the masseter muscle, the muscle responsible for biting down, is hypertrophied (enlarged), then a neuromodulator, such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin, would be a good place to start. Injecting the masseter, close to the jawline, in two places per side, is often enough to give enough shrinkage to change a square jawline to the more desirable triangular shape. Since this is a muscle that controls the vital function of chewing, it is imperative that you seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating this area.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Contribution of mandible versus masseter to width at gonial angle

As you have alluded to, the width of your jaw along the angles is due partially to the size/shape of your mandible and partially due to the size/shape of your masseter muscle. An in-person evaluation is the only way to give you an accurate answer regarding your specific case.

However, in most cases, even when the mandible is large and "square", treating the masseter muscle will create tapering of the jawline. Especially with serial treatments (repeat treatments every 3-4 months) the effect can be quite drastic as the muscle continues to atrophy and shrink while the Botox takes effect.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Treatment of prominent jaw

it is impossible to determine the cause without examining you. If there is a large masseter muscle, botox treatments over time can diminish the bulk of the muscle and make your jawline more slim. If it is bone the botox will be less likely to help. You need to see a cosmetic dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon to help you with this issue.

I hope this helps you!

Laura E. Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon