What Can One Use to Get Rid of Male Breast Reduction Scars?

Will some scaring fade on its own after breast reduction surgery?

Managing Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. 

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question. Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

The main role for silicone sheets is to keep the incisions hydrated during the remodelling phase of the scar maturation. This allows the underlying cells to work in a more optimized fashion. The brand is less important but compliance usually follows ease of use. Silicone usually has less skin irritation concerns with use compared to adhesives. They can also be re-used.

Scarring With Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi,

Thanks for the post. Incisions for all surgeries take time to reach their final state; up to 1.5 years. Gynecomastia incision are no different and tend to heal very nicely. If there is an incision under the areola the scar fades very well with time. This is for 2 reasons:

1. The incision was placed in a zone of camouflage between the darker areola and the lighter skin.
2. There is no tension on the incision because the tissue has been removed.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Scarring treatment

It takes about a year for scars to fade as long as you keep them covered up from the sun. After that time, you can talk to your surgeon about minimizing their appearance more. Laser technologies may help, as well as silicone gel.

Scars fade

I suggest you wait to see if your scars improve with time, and if they don't and you still feel uncomfortable with them, you can consider scar revision surgery. Youc an also try scar treatments like silicone gel, which you can start doing once the incisions have healed and they aren't scabbing or crusting over. Best of luck.

What can I use to get rid of my male breast reuction scars?

It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Gynecomastia scarring

The scars should go on to fade on their own over the course of a year. Silicone sheeting or topical silicone can assist in scar healing but the most important factor is time.

Treating scars from gynecomastia surgery

Placement of the incision for removal of the breast gland is very important. Being at the edge of the areola allows it to heal and be almost invisible. More noticeable is the tiny incision used for liposuction and placement of the drains. I now put them high up into the armpit toward the back and most of my patients have a hard time finding them. As soon as the incisions are healed I have my patients start using silicone sheeting and have found this to be a great help in the healing of the scars.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Breast reduction scars

Unfortunately, nothing you can use will “get rid” of scars. I tell patients that “tincture of time” is the best remedy as scars to improve over time. Initially scars may be pink/red/purple but gradually fade  (during the first 2 years  after surgery).   The hope is that the improvement in contour will offset the downside of the presence of scars.

Silicone-based products (sheeting or gel)  may be helpful for some patients.