Is It Possible for Me to Get Rid of Loose Skin?

Hi im 18 years old, last year i lost about 40kg (88 pound) in one year and now i have excess skin on my abs and thighs it really bothers me it feels like i have more fat to lose and i have stretch marks on belly and sides ... My height is 6'1" and 176-177 pound.So my question is if it will go away over time or SURGERY(tummy tuck) is the only option in this case? and im currently doing weight training programme to gain muscle.

Doctor Answers 2

Tummy tuck will remove excess skin.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


This type of excess skin will not usually go away without surgery.  The good news for you is that you only have a skin problem (no muscle or fat problem).  That makes the tummy tuck simple.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin after weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I assume you lost the weight through diet and exercise which is the best way to do so. Congratulations on doing so. As a result, you will have a longer, happier and healthier life.

The skin was stretched to accommodate the previous layer of fat. When you lost the weight the fat layer decreased in size but the skin can only shrink so much. What the current photos show is a fold of extra skin under the belly button level and a little less excess skin above the level of the belly button.

After you lose weight the skin envelope shrinks to a variable degree to cover its now lesser contents. By about 6 months after stabilization or plateauing of that weight loss the skin should have shrunk as much as it is going to. Although exercise to increase muscle mass may partially fill this envelope of skin you have so much excess skin that the muscle size cannot increase enough to fully fill the skin envelope.

Some doctors have begun using non-surgical modalities in an attempt to shrink the skin envelope. These mostly involve heating up the involved tissue to shrink it. Unfortunately this does not work when the excess is as much as yours is. Your only option is surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.